1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Stock Froyo For Droid From Source?

1. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

Just wondering if ANYONE out there can make an update.zip from source, not root or anything, I went back to stock 2.1 a while back, droid got a fault sensor and went berserk! I couldn't do anything so I used the sbf and got back to stock and sent it in.

Anyhow. I know cyanogen mod is coming with cm 6 soon, but i want a taste of stock froyo. How hard is it to make an update.zip from source? Would love it if its around or if someone could!

Advertisement
  2. ech0

ech0 Active Member

Koush compiled a build from source yesterday, and I mooshed GApps from a previous release and SU (root) into one zip file. Note: there are no sounds in this -- I had made a zip for sounds taken out of the Bugless Beast Froyo leak, but it's not in this zip.

So, ya know. Download / install at your own risk, make sure you have a backup to go to, etc etc. If you're not familiar / comfortable with installing zips from ClockworkMod, play it safe and DON'T DO IT.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3131116/vanilla-froyo-gapps-su.zip

Kang'd from Koush, etc.
  3. radikal

nah, i am comfortable, problem is, I am not root :) clock work requires root right? and would this add root, I am not against adding root :)
  4. ech0

ech0 Active Member

I'm not sure if this would be able to install using the factory recovery, so I would advise against it. If you're planning on doing any custom ROMs you should be rooted with ROM Manager installed so you can create failsafe backups.

So if you're not using Clockwork Recovery (or SPRecovery) you should not install this zip.
  5. radikal

Bah, don't wanna sbf back to 2.0, then root, then upgrade then upgrade then upgrade haha. guess i will wait for cyanogen to perfect it or for a stock leak. Thanks anyhow, hope someone ends up good on this :)
  6. ech0

ech0 Active Member

Unless you're returning the phone to VZW, there's probably very little reason not to be rooted, even if you're not running any custom mods or ROMs.

Just sayin'.
  7. CalledFollower

CalledFollower Well-Known Member

Don't you have to be rooted to run any of the CyanogenMod stuff?
  8. anaphora68

anaphora68 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to be rooted to install any of Cyanogen's ROMs.

For un-rooted users, there is no stock "leak." You will have to wait for the Moto release. If you want Froyo, you have to root.

The process is really simple. I rooted my phone in ten minutes.
  9. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

Radikal, you dont have to flash back to 2.0.1. If you check the huge compilation sticky at the top of the root section, there is a link a little ways down the page on how to add sprecovery via an update file. From there, you use SPR to flash a ROM which has root, and viola... you are done. Flashing SBFs is the long way around at this point. Including the time it takes to flash a ROM, you should be rooted in about 5 minutes. '

Which rom? Doesn't matter. Pick any ROM you like that you can flash with SPR.
  10. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Fade you still have to use an SBF to flash SPRecovery the update.zip simple gives you superuser.apk and SU. But you can root without losing any data.
  11. radikal

yeah, i have rooted before guys! I am not new to this! I want to root again. Just don't see a point yet! I will flash to cyanogen and have to sbf back like OMJ Said. Not a fan of that! Just annoying! So I want to do it as few times as possible.

Cyanogen will probably have his greatness of froyo SOON! Very soon, a week or two? So why not just wait, do the sbf that night and have it be one painful yet good process!

Is there an easier way?
  12. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

the sbf process is quite easy now. The SPRecovery sbf only changes your recovery from stock to SPRecovery. Nothing else on the phones changes at all. It doesnt take you back to 2.0.1. From there you just run a update.zip that gives you root access and you are good to go. Doesnt get much easier than that.
  13. radikal

well the issue right now, at this moment is, I am at work! haha.

Other issue is fellas, turns out that topic that is stickied, does not have the update.zip, the site containing it went down! I am confused! why can i not get sp from rom manager? Man I was a starting rooter with droid and now the game has changed!
  14. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

You can get SP Recovery from ROM Manager, but in order to flash a new recovery ROM you need root. Catch 22.

The Root guide does need updated links though, I agree.

There's a link at the bottom of the guide to another thread: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/63010-how-install-sprecovery-unrooted-2-1-ota.html

At the bottom of that thread is a link to the zip: http://androidforums.com/attachment...tall-sprecovery-unrooted-2-1-ota-ese81_su.zip
  15. radikal

haha, yeah crappy! what to do? anyone got a better site with links? so i do need an SBF to get sp? no easier way?
  16. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

The update.zip I am reffering to is here update.zip

I checked the link and its working fine for me.

Rom Manager will not root your phone. Thats not what its intended for.
  17. radikal

No no, this I know, you can install sp or clockwork with rom manager. So can I install the update you just gave me over stock 2.1 or do I need sbf first? or?
  18. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

You need to do the sbf first to get SPRecovery on instead of the stock recovery (you will not lose any data at all)... Then you just boot into SPRecovery and run the update.zip that OMJ posted, and bam you are rooted and can do whatever you want with RomManager... :)
  19. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

20. radikal

Ok, got a good guide, thanks all. Will do that when I get home most likely! Well I am glad it is easier than flashing to 2.0! DANG! What good stuff. Thanks to all who helped, maybe sticky this post hahaha jk
  21. Fadelight

Then there is an issue, because I didn't flash an SBF when I got my phone back from Best Buy, and it worked perfectly. lol.
  22. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

and you were on 2.1??? What update.zip did you use?

I am quite interested now
  23. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

The SUPERsuperuser one... :p

Either that or his phone is self aware and we should all be scared... :)

Seriously though I would be interested to know as well, as this could make helping people with 2.1 get root a ton easier...
  24. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I might be sbfing to back to 2.0.1 and going to stock 2.1 just to test this out
  25. Fadelight

It was the stock 2.1 with superuser via the update.zip. It gave me an error message or two, but after rebooting and clearing all of the apps in Superuser.apk, it worked. I installed ROM Manager and ran with it.

Either that or maybe my droid DID become self-aware. uh oh. If I disappear soon, make sure someone finds and destroys my droid. I mean... not destroys. id never say destroys... I love my droid. Yeah.

but then my phone was always quirky. I was one of the .03% who bought their droids on opening day and the screen rotated when you tilted the phone. o_O