• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] "Stock-like" Android (JB+) ROM for unlocked i9300

Pretend the app doesn't exist. In fact I think it only works on ics.

Oops. Oh well, I just opened and closed it after granting access.

My phone is backing up now, somewhere. I went to CWM (recovery mode using volume, home, power) -> Backup and restore -> Backup and it's now storing a seemingly massive backup somewhere! Is this a nandroid?

Upvote 0
Yes it is. Its backing up your rom, kernel and data in a single nandroid backup so it will be massive. You will use this to restore your phone to exactly how it is now.

On your new rom, if youre expecting to restore apps, sort out titanium backup too.

You'll probably get away with not wiping before flashing wanam but sometimes its nice to start fresh then restore any apps and data after (minus system data).

Reactions: andy9l
Upvote 0
Great, thanks for the help. That all went well, although I can no longer access any /mnt from Windows? It's recognising my phone, even Odin still does, but it's not showing up in Windows Explorer?

Restarting Windows and phone...

Edit: The backup is indeed on my externalSD (checked through "My Files" on the phone).

Edit 2: Windows is now reporting "Missing hardware ID"?

Edit 3 (*sigh*): Windows bucked up its ideas. Back again!

Upvote 0
Check out sms backup+, link in my backup thread...

Sorry, too many forum threads in my head at the moment. Currently backing up - unfortunately I've got 2120 SMS since I turned off the "keep only 200" setting due to the ringtone bug in 4.0.4. It's taking a long time...

So what is the benefit of the "23 toggles" mod over the default it installs? More AOSP style, and more of them?

After a long trail of links, I've ended up downloading WanamLite from here, does this look right? I've also got the other all other mods downloaded bar black popups (want to see the grey first!).

So I need to:

1. Copy all these zips onto the internal SD (/mnt/sdcard0)
2. CWM Recovery -> Full data wipe
3. CWM Recovery -> Flash from zip on internal
4. Flash ROM first
5. Any need to flash a GApps package?
6. Reboot from CWM to check ROM
7. Assuming all is well, back into CWM Recovery to flash all other mods individually

Sound about right?

Upvote 0
Yep that's the current version (5.2)

Only AOSP roms are not allowed to contain gapps so nothing to flash here.

Everything else is correct :)

Edit.. toggles. More options than samsung. Also samsung force minimum of 5 toggles but they don't supply 5 toggles that I would use.

Great, thanks again. I'll wait for this backup and give it a shot...I'll probably be back before I hit 'go', as it were ;)

What exact options should I choose in CWM for the data wipe? I obviously don't want to delete the zips from the SD card. Do I need to wipe the cache/dalvik and do a "full data wipe"?

Upvote 0
The option is called "wipe data / factory reset" I believe. I haven't the same version so can't confirm exactly.

This wont touch sd. Will wipe /cache. Dalvik-cache is on /data anyway so that will also wipe, although you wont have much on an odexed rom.

De-odexed roms swap the .odex files for dalvik-cache so you'll have much more dalvik after flashing wanam (most customs are de-odexed)

Upvote 0
Seemed to work! Just set up and it's currently restoring all my apps from my Google account (just downloading them again). I'll wait for that to finish then move onto mods.

I'm safe to delete the zips once flashed, right? And I can flash the three mods without rebooting between each?

Edit: And what's the best way to delete apps now I have root access? Still disable ones I can and live with the ones I can't disable in app manager?

Upvote 0
Seemed to work! Just set up and it's currently restoring all my apps from my Google account (just downloading them again). I'll wait for that to finish then move onto mods.

I'm safe to delete the zips once flashed, right? And I can flash the three mods without rebooting between each?

Edit: And what's the best way to delete apps now I have root access? Still disable ones I can and live with the ones I can't disable in app manager?

Yep can be deleted. And no reboot needed between mods. Technically no need to reboot between rom and theme but as this is your first time, nice to check it works...

id recommend purchasing root explorer. Its a file manager for root users. Estrongs and solid if you use those have root components too, just not quite as good. There's a list of apps you can delete on xda which i'll dig out for you sometime

Reactions: andy9l
Upvote 0
Thanks again!

Just installed JB Domination, now doing the theme for 23 toggles...it's asking if I want to install 23 toggles mod, or the stock power toggles. I've already installed 23 toggles with the ROM, have I not?

It's also asking for text or no text (ie. brightness slider or no brightness slider)?!

Edit: Mod name is 15 toggles and battery icons for GT-i9300 as per your link.

Upvote 0
Firstly, a huge thanks for all your help over the past few days!

Secondly, I'm all up and running now I think. In all the fuss, I completely forgot to make a backup of my EFS, but fortunately everything is working well so is making one now ok? This won't affect my ability to go back to official, unrooted, etc., will it?

Thanks once again :)

Edit: One minor thing - photos come out horribly under-exposed, although they don't appear it on screen whilst shooting, or even when it shows the thumbnail after shooting?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones