• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

stock mail app reinstall help

Go Stilrs

Lurker
Jan 16, 2011
Hi all... I finally took the plunge and rooted my Hero. I used z4 root, and flashed Liquid Sense 2.1.1. My phone is working great, but along with all the sprint bloatware, the developer removed the stock mail app from the ROM. My employer supports Exchange Active Sync for our company email, and I am now trying to find a way to get my company mail again. Does anyone know how to get the stock email app back on the phone without using Android Commander, and Android SDK? I am not nearly smart enough to figure that stuff out! Thx.

I used root explorer to copy and paste the files into the \system\app folder from the sdcard, but the phone doesn't recognize them. I noticed all the files in the \system\app folder have folder have rw-r--r-- after them, and the mail.apk and mail.odex files have ---rwxr-x after them. Does this have something to do with the problem?

Upvote 0
Finally figured it out. After dropping the files in the /system/app folder, the permissions need to get changed. Using Root Explorer, mount as r/w, then long press on each file (the .apk and the .odex files), and then select permissions. Make sure to check read for user,group,others and write for user, everything else should be unchecked. If not, change and press ok. After that, reboot the phone, and the app should work. Well, it finally worked for me!

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
Finally figured it out. After dropping the files in the /system/app folder, the permissions need to get changed. Using Root Explorer, mount as r/w, then long press on each file (the .apk and the .odex files), and then select permissions. Make sure to check read for user,group,others and write for user, everything else should be unchecked. If not, change and press ok. After that, reboot the phone, and the app should work. Well, it finally worked for me!

Thanks for the update:D Glad you got it working

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones