Stock Messaging app lagSupport

1. yota350

yota350 Member

Stock messaging app has a bad lag when auto populating the receiver. When the phone was newer, I would type the first letter or two of who I was sending it to and it would very quickly auto populate the names in my contacts that match. But the last 3 or 4 months it has slowed down a bunch. I've cleared all messages thinking that was it but it still does it. When making a call it still auto populates immediately but is frustrating how long I have to wait for messaging. Even if I type the whole first name I still have to wait a couple seconds. Any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Have you got a lot of contacts? Or are you storing any on the SIM or something?

Mine is completely lag-free when doing this same thing (also stock messaging app), but I only have 320 or so contacts in the book (and no social media links to any of these - no idea whether that's relevant, but I mention it in case).

I guess you could try backing stuff up and clearing data for the messaging app (not the same as deleting messages), but I've no idea whether that would make any difference. Our best bet would be if there is someone else here who has had the same problem.
    marctronixx and PyroSporker like this.
  3. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

:) I didn't want to bat lead-off on this one.
    My inclination was to wonder about social media links or contact images. The SIM idea is a really good one too.

I've never specifically noticed lag when typing contact names either, however when my stock Messaging application gets too slow to open threads or type/send replies quickly, within the application, I back up all messages to storage and then delete all the many long threads - this takes a long time to fully complete. Then I go into the application manager force stop Messaging and clear all data, then reboot the device.
    Have to start fresh, but fixes the lag everytime.
  4. yota350

yota350 Member

I've tried the suggestions and it is still doing the same thing. Just wondering anything else I should try?