Stock Messaging App Slow To Delete Threads?

Last Updated:

1. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, so I am not sure this has been talked about before. I did a quick search in the forum and I did not find anything specifically related to this problem, so here goes.

Basically, I am trying to delete large text messaging threads in the stock messaging app on my Sprint HTC Hero. It is taking an inordinate amount of time to accomplish this task. I deleted one thread that had a mere fifteen texts in and that took over ten seconds. Now, I just tried deleting a thread that has one hundred texts in and it has been minutes and it still has not deleted the thread. Has this happened to anyone else? Would deleting the data in the "Manage Applications" section delete these texts faster or would that be inadvisable? In my opinion this deletion lag is ridiculous. Any insight or help on the matter would be very much appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Try rebooting then deleting them. It should NOT take that long.

3. LBPHeretic

Unfortunately, I rebooted twice and it is still taking just as much time to delete the threads as I stated before. The second time I had to reboot because some how the long deletion lag caused the Sense UI to force close.

It is sad that this is a problem because I actually like the stock messaging app. It is just that the text threads got too large and were taking forever to load so that is why I wanted to delete them. For what it is worth, right now I actually have to choose to delete the thread and put the handset down and walk away and do something else because it takes so long. That is pretty insane.

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Delete old messages - Android app on AppBrain

Try that? I doubt it will speed things up. It may be faster to try deleting them one message at a time.

Also, make sure that NOTHING else is running if it doesn't have to be.

5. LBPHeretic

I will look into that app. I can not delete my texts one at a time because I have hundreds to go through.

Does anyone use a non-stock messaging app like Handcent SMS or chompSMS? Do they handle text message thread deletion better?

6. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

Slow with chomp and handcent, but nothing like that...

7. LBPHeretic

Well, I tried a different method to delete my text messaging threads and it seemed to process a bit faster. I went into the list of contacts that I have current threads with in the messaging app and then I hit the Menu button and chose delete and selected them all at once this time. The last time I was long pressing each contact's messaging thread and hitting delete. That seemed to take longer to process for some odd reason.

After I selected all of the contact's threads that I wanted deleted and started the deletion process I just put the phone down for about ten or fifteen minutes and did something else. I came back and all of the messaging threads were gone.

8. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

If you use the SMS Backup and Restore app, then you can delete them all through that in one shot. It still takes a while to do it, but it will get done. I usually give my phone about 5-10 mins depending on how many messages I have to delete.

9. actofgod

actofgod Well-Known Member

This is funny, I'm having the same issue with Handscent. It already caused my phone to lock up (black screen - wouldn't turn back on). I don't even know how many texts are in this particular thread but it is with my gf so it is probably a TON.

already been one song, still not deleted and it keeps asking me if I want to force close the app....argh!!

10. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

I delete threads higher than 200 to prevent this.

11. LBPHeretic

I am just going to delete my text messaging threads more often now. I had not deleted my old text messaging threads since I had updated to Android 2.1, so that was obviously quite a long time.

The speed of the text messaging app is also so much better with smaller threads and as a bonus it uses less battery power to load them up. I will probably just delete my text messaging threads once a week or every two weeks depending on usage.