Stock messenging question?Tips

Last Updated:

1. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I previously used Handcent but have switched back to the stock mesenging app for reason likely only important to me.

My question is I can't seem to figure out a way to assign a particular ringtone(notification sound) to a particular contact. I know it has to be right under my nose but I have exhausted the ways that I know. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Wadester

Wadester Well-Known Member

Go to the People app, pull up a person and at the bottom you'll see "Ringtone".

3. flyjbaker

I m talking about a specific ring/notification tone for when a text arrives.... the ringtone you mention is a ringtone for when they call. A text from a particular contact could be worth mucho dollars to me but it is extremely time critical. Right now, I have one notification tone for everybody(unless y'all can tell me differently) so I go flying across the house when ANY text message hits my phone(or whatever I may be doing).....and the majority of the time it is from some other entity that is not so time critical. I am trying to eliminate the "false alarms". by giving this one entity ist's own notification tone. I know this is possible on Handcent....but like a said, the stock app suits the "time critical" portion of this better(less key strokes to return the call).

4. Wadester

Wadester Well-Known Member

Hmmm... don't see how per-Person text sound notifications are possible with the stock client.

5. flyjbaker

delete

6. jeremylobaugh

jeremylobaugh Well-Known Member

Use SMS popup. I have been using it for quite some time, it does exactly what you want it to. You still read and compose messages in the stock app, but change your notification setting in SMS popup. As an Ex blackberry user, it was a great solution for me