stock music player 5.1 audio

1. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member

So the stock music player has the 5.1 setting, which to me makes a huge difference over other players.

How many of you feel trapped into using it because it sounds better, like me?

i wish I could get the same option on other players

Advertisement
    :
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

It messes with the audio but I hardly feel "trapped". All it is is some artificial audio processing thrown in.

Explain to me how you get "5.1" audio from a 2-channel data stream being played out of 2 speakers.

I'd rather listen to the audio the way the sound engineer intended (safe to say his training, credentials, and paycheck far-exceed whatever Samsung monkey invented the fake "5.1" button).
    vt6spd likes this.
  3. artvandalay22222

Well if you have an open mind and good quality headphones, the 5.1 does sound better.

I most definitly prefer the "artificial audio processing" as it just plain sounds better.

sorry
  4. Andrewdroid

Andrewdroid Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. It sounds better even with the stock earphones which I was blown away by their quality after letting them sit in the box for a week because I assumed they were sh
  5. mnemonicj

mnemonicj Well-Known Member

In my opinion, I feel that the "5.1" feature of the music player modifies the equalizer in a way that increases the mid-range that the engineers of the music did not intend. For that reason, and because I don't like the way it sounds, I do use the "5.1" feature.

Maybe they should have called it "Surround" instead of "5.1". 5.1 means that you have 5 full frequency channels and an LFE channel.
  6. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

Yeah calling it 5.1 is very misleading. Should have called it "make sound better?" The question marks in there since you may not like how it tweaks with the sound.

In my opinion it does make songs sound more full.
  7. artvandalay22222

They can call it monkey scrotum, if it makes it sound better, then I'll turn it on.
    Andrewdroid likes this.
  8. DustinD

DustinD Active Member

Tried using it with my AKG 701's and an amp and it sounds absolutely horrible... absolutely ruins the separation and drowns out the lows and highs....ughhhh
  9. Andrewdroid

Andrewdroid Well-Known Member

Love my monkey scrotum setting.
  10. artvandalay22222

It's not for using with an external amp. Only for use with headphones. Otherwise it will sound terrible
  11. CASUAL

CASUAL Well-Known Member

How do I make the 5.1 surround sound work in the music player?
    when ever I tap the 5.1 button it says "5.1 channel can only be activated when sound effects are off"
    I tried turning off the equalizer but I still can't turn it on...it sounds great with movies and watch a movie it let's me turn it on easy...I just tap the little on screen buttn and it turns on

So what's the trick?
  12. JaeWeb

JaeWeb Well-Known Member

The Equalizer has to be set to Normal and Effect also set to normal to use the 5.1. Personally I don't like the 5.1 so my Equalizer is set to Rock and Effect is set to Bass Enhancement. I swear the music on this player sounds so much better than on my iPod!!! :)
  13. JaeWeb

JaeWeb Well-Known Member

Oh, Concert Hall is also fun to play with in the Effects settings x)~
  14. jeremytanner

jeremytanner Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the setting while using the usb-to-hdmi cable? Is it possible that it does provide 5.1 through that means?
  15. Lagunar

Lagunar Well-Known Member

I've tried the 5.1 with the stock earbuds, didn't like it, sorry =(
  16. Emcnelly

Emcnelly Member

I don't believe its 5.1 either but it does seem to have clearer sound but it all comes down to personal preference and it makes very little difference to me, either way the audio output on the captivate is very good.
  17. remixulus

remixulus Active Member

The 5.1 amplifies the lows and highs to give you a deep, clear sound. It is really nice sounding, especially if you're watching video.

Unfortunately, Winamp came out today, so I won't be using the stock player/5.1 ever again.
  18. asoknanjil

asoknanjil New Member

i am try it very good effect
  19. androdude

androdude Member

I am assuming samsung epic 4g and captivate are similar handsets.
    I personally love the 5.1 effect and I feel trapped as well :-(
    The other thing that I hate about this is that it works best with samsung OEM headphones only.
  20. kibbis

kibbis New Member

It really depends on the song. I've found situations where 5.1 sounds great for some songs, and other's it sounds like I'm sitting in a metal trashcan. Either way, due to consistency, I'm satisifed with the default, which in my case is 5.1 off. :D