Stock or Dolphin Browser??

Last Updated:

1. ronjcar

ronjcar Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone going back to stock, now that it has pinch zoom? I think I am unless someone knows why Dolphin is still better. I don't see anything up front.

When will stock sync with Crome?

Thanks
    Ron

Advertisement
  2. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Hellz no. Stock all the way.

3. njKeever

njKeever Well-Known Member

I prefer Dolphin because I like to load new tabs in the background when I'm browsing.

4. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Well-Known Member

If you are asking for the best browser, xscope is the fastest for normal loading. For server loaded that takes 4 seconds to load, chose opera mini 5. Its insanely fast, but is in its beta stages. Also, Fennec (firefox) is coming soon too.

5. cggorman

cggorman Well-Known Member

Dolphin lets me change the user agent so I'm not rerouted to a mobile site.

6. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Sticking with dolphin for the tabs. Makes it so much easier to read forums.

Fennec should be a good possibility when it is released as well.

7. x026092

x026092 Well-Known Member

still stock.

8. wolftickets

wolftickets Active Member

Stock for me. It seems to work well and I browse in portrait mode so tabs get crowded.

9. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

xScope is better than stock and dolphin in every way except one. The initial zoom level doesn't just automatically show the whole page like the built in browser, you have to set it at a certain scale.

It has everything else though, tabbed browsing, setting for user agent, pinch zoom, etc etc. It will also import your favorites from your google account (the ones you have on the stock browser).

It is noticeably smoother when scrolling across pages with lots of graphics. It will also hide the notification and address bars to dedicate more screen space to the web page.

Also, with the tabbed windows, you can easily go from tab to tab by simply scrolling to the edge of the page the page and sliding the active page out of the way.

If you haven't tried it you should.

10. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

I had XScope and didnt see any advantages to it. Dolphin was only better because of pinch and zoom.

Now that the stock browser has pinch and zoom, there's no real advantage to installing another one IMO.

11. darreno1

darreno1 Well-Known Member

The stock browser isn't bad and its pinch and zoom is the smoothest (slightly smoother than Dolphin) but that big horrible address bar at the top is one of my biggest gripes. It's also noticeably slower so I'm sticking with Dolphin. Opera is without a doubt the fastest but its poor rendering of many webpages makes it unusable for me. Also, it likes to default to the mobile versions of websites with some having no way to change them to their desktop versions. It needs some serious work but it has potential.

I currently have xscope installed as well and have used it but it lacks some features in the free version that can get annoying. For example, it will let you download but not execute certain downloads. Dolphin has no such limitations even in the free version. It's also faster and more reliable than xscope and I've used both extensively testing them on the same websites, one after the other..... Dolphin always came out on top. Xscope also freezes on certain webpages as in it will begin loading and just stop and stay like that for a while which also gets annoying. I want to really like it but I always keep going back to Dolphin. To the Dolphin dev wherever you are, don't give up on the best browser so far.

12. bbrwarchild

bbrwarchild Member

Xscope have pinch zoom too. It is faster than dolphin and lighter. Dolphin seem to ask a lot permissions. Also xscope is have a build in file browser, it have tabs. Don't know when you used it last, but it is by far the best browser out there right now. If you haven't tried it lately then you should give it a try.

13. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

i have left stock and come back a few times, still like stock

14. Jvandyke13

Jvandyke13 New Member

STock for sure, no problems especially now w/ pinch and zoom.

15. tjoebgen

tjoebgen Well-Known Member

yep - had Dolphin for p2z and for tabs. Now with 2.1, I'm back to using stock. Why? Because the updated Dolphin browser became butt-ugly and very cumbersome. I liked the original version. It was clean and easy. Now the menu system is a total mess.

2.1 Browser is my default again.

16. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I use stock for most things, I have dolphin and I use it when I want to go to a desktop version of a site instead of the mobile version.

17. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Better is always subjective. If you don't see a reason then definitely go with the stock browser.

I'm currently trying to decide if I prefer the updated stock browser or xScope.

Stock does as well. It's just not as straightforward.

18. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

With the stock browser, you can open new windows in the background (go into settings). Granted, you don't have tabs at the top.

I prefer the stock browser. I tried Dolphin once a long time ago and it wasn't for me and, even as horrible as the 2.0.1 browser was, I stuck with it.

Eventually the custom ROMs started including the good/smooth browsers with p2z (first the milestone browser and then the ERE25/ESE53 browsers), and since then I haven't thought once about using a 3rd party browser.

So, basically, I'm stock.

19. dremelts

dremelts New Member

I totally agree!!!! If I could go back to the earlier version of Dolphin I would. There are just SO many things wrong with the new version that I wouldn't know where to start. Right now I have gone back to the stock browser and I guess I could be happy with stock (until Fennec comes out) but for the fact that it still has that old zoom button in the lower right hand corner. I mean, come on, we have pinch zoom now - please give me an option to disable the button. I do a lot of my browsing in landscape mode and my natural motion is to use my right thumb to scroll and I'm always hitting that stupid button.

If anyone can tell me how to disable the zoom button in the stock browser I would sure appreciate it.

20. mrjam3s

mrjam3s Well-Known Member

The stock browser has been okay for me.

21. tjoebgen

tjoebgen Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, I forgot: Dolphin has "gestures", but I never used them. Did anyone else? I found that the gesture menu thing just got in my way.

22. snapcase

snapcase Well-Known Member

I'm currently still using dolphin. I haven't played with stock much since updating honestly, so can't really say much about it.

The main reasons I'm using dolphin are for easily being able to set user agent and tabs. At least until fennec comes out (can't wait).

how?

23. matthew.k.taylor

matthew.k.taylor Member

Stock for me. Dolphin browser made my phone freeze up randomly and force close the android program when the phone would ring. Whole damn thing would lock up. Uninstalled dolphin and back to stock and no more whole phone lock ups.

24. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

I rather like those zoom buttons. I find pinch zoom only useful when u have 2 hands available and idk about most of you but I use my Droid with one hand most of the time so pinch zoom just seems so cumbersome

25. cggorman

cggorman Well-Known Member

As I was also curious, I asked Google and got an answer... http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc...setting-stock-android-browser.html#post197684

I tried it. it works. Not quite snik-snik like dolphin, but also good enough that I uninstalled Big D...cause that fish was otherwise funky...