Stock ROM, better kernel?

Last Updated:

1. cartisdm

cartisdm Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. BlankDEP

BlankDEP Well-Known Member

I believe as long as you're rooted you can change the kernel if you'd like. Just make sure it is a sense based kernel and not AOSP. Make a nandroid backup and flash the new kernel.

I've been using this one for a week or so now with great battery life and no need for SetCPU, it underclocks with screen off automatically.

[KERNEL] 2.6.32.26-incredikernel - 12/07/2010 - Need testers - xda-developers

I use the 11/28 version under old versions because some people have had lag issues with the newest undervolted one

cartisdm likes this.
  3. cartisdm

Awesome, thanks!

4. BlankDEP

5. NoRegrets78

NoRegrets78 Well-Known Member

I was just looking for the answer to this question. Only rooted 2nd time but first time I installed a ROM (CM6). THANK GOD for nandroid backup! Didn't like it and went back to stock in a jiffy :)

Now I'm looking to fine tune the stock rom, or maybe try something a bit different.

6. Lacyanne64

Lacyanne64 Well-Known Member

I did this for a few days. Stock run and was running heyitslou kernel...Didnt have any issues. Should be alright as long as you use a sense kernel.

7. cartisdm

Good, I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one pondering this. What other benefits can you get from different kernals?

8. BlankDEP

Some kernel's allow for overclocking for a more responsive and faster interface when used with SetCPU. Others are overclocked without SetCPU.

Even without overclocking some are faster operating and more responsive than others, giving higher quadrant scores.

The biggest benefits tend to be in the battery life though.

I've been using the kernel I linked above for about a week and a half, its not overclocked, but the responsiveness of the phone and battery life are both increased over others I've tried.

9. XXXdc5

XXXdc5 Well-Known Member

Update on Kernals beneficial/stable for people with stock ROMs would be awesome :)