Stock S4 Messaging AppSupport

Last Updated:

1. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

While using the stock S4 Messaging app, I have noticed that, when you send a text to a group, it sends the text as an MMS not an SMS. This doesn't bother me because the group messaging works well. I have noticed although that it will not send when connected to WiFi. I can send a group message and the little spinning thingy will spin forever while on WiFi, but as soon as I turn WiFi off, it fires the message off right away. Anybody else seen this? If so, is there a solution to this? I particularly like the stock app, so I don't want to change.

Advertisement
  2. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

I don't recall having seen this issue on my i337. MMS goes whether or not I have wifi enabled... as long as I have a mobile data connection (required).

Early on in my Android experience (on a Straight Talk Galaxy Proclaim running 2.3.6 - Gingerbread), I used Juice Defender and aggressively (too aggressively) turned off data and wifi in a misguided attempt to conserve battery life.

I found that I had many issues sending MMS messages. Once I learned that leaving the data radio enabled really did not make a significant difference in MY battery life, I left it on and my MMS message sending issues were pretty much over. That was also using Verizon's service (native towers only - no roaming... per ST's service arrangement).

Now with my i337, I'm using AT&T's service and have been equally (or better) pleased with the service. I wonder if your issues may be more related to a VZW issue than a phone issue?

Edit: btw, I"m with you in terms of liking the stock messaging app. My only complaint is my carrier imposed 10 person group texting limit that I have not YET figured out how to bypass without resorting to breaking up a group into smaller segments and sending multiple group messages... which sorta defeats the purpose. ;)
    BigRedGonzo likes this.
  3. m3incorp

m3incorp Well-Known Member

Lots of threads on here where MMS doesn't always send over WiFi if you are on Verizon.
  4. scott_

scott_ Well-Known Member

Am I missing something that sms and mms require a "data" plan or wifi?
    How do "feature" phones send/receive text when only having a phone plan without data.
    Even in the "old" days without a specific texting plan, you could still receive messages.