• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stock SMS app just stopped working?

So, I've been very happy with my One X, until about an hour ago... I've been using the stock messaging app that comes already installed. But not too long ago it stopped working. I can open it up no problem, see all my conversations and message previews and such, but when I tap on a conversation to see all of it, the thread just stays on the "loading" part... It just doesn't go anywhere... I've already tried restarting my phone, shut it down twice, and I've went to the settings and cleared the cache, and force stopped the messaging app, then restarted my phone again, but to no avail.. (So I've downloaded a 3rd party app in the meantime until I can get this working, Chomp SMS.) Can someone help me troubleshoot this? There's not much online about people having this problem yet... Any sort of help would be appreciated, thanks.

ok, update: I just thought of deleting the messages from my most full conversation, which was around 5000 something (leaving about 6 of the most recent texts). And what happens... All is well. I'm guessing all of the messages stored into memory just forced it to crash in that one conversation. Because if I were to close the app, open it back up and go into a conversation besides the 5000 text one, they'd open. But then if I'd go to open the "full" conversation, it'd just stay stuck on the loading screen. And after opening that one, I try to open the others, they would crash too with the loading screen. I didn't realize this until like today. So I guess this version of Messages can't handle loads of texts :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones