• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stock SMS UI --> Handcent or GO SMS Pro

fb3003

Lurker
Mar 14, 2011
Greetings -

Have been configuring both Handcent and GO SMS Pro for a while for the purpose of getting the UI to look the same as the stock SMS application on HTC Inspire. What I am really trying to accomplish is to have the application include a date divider across texts that I exchange with another individual.

For example, if I exchange several texts with Jen on June 11th and again exchange several texts on June 14th; the application would clearly divide these texts across june 11 and 14. the stock SMS application does this. I can't get this to work on handcent or GO.

Also, I dont want the bubble kind of conversation. Simple list would do.

so any way of making handcent or GO SMS Pro to look like the UI on the stock sms?

Thanks in advance

I know in handcent to get the list style texting instead of bubbles its
Menu-settings -custom style-bubble settings-conversation style-android

As for the date thing im not sure what you are asking might just be a lack of sleep on my part

Edit: nevermind I got what you are saying about the date divide I'm a lil slow today

Upvote 0
How do you stop receiving messgaes from the stock service. I have used Go and Handscent and receive duplicate messages. If I delete from one the other deletes as well. I'm frustrated!!! How do I stop the stock service working?? HELP!!!

Unless you root your phone to remove the stock messaging app there is no way to stop the stock app from receiving the messages. You can turn off the stock notifications so you don't receive 2 of those but that's about it on options.

Upvote 0
I use GO and was dealing with the double messages at first and it drove me crazy. I figured out how to turn off the stock notification and now it is perfect.

As far as the date divider issue while there is no clear line to separate dates there is a date and time right there on each message so it is perfectly clear what was sent when.

I have no experience with the other app in question but I hope this helps.

Kellye

Upvote 0
Can you have a different text notification sound for each person on Go SMS like on Handcent? I may try Go SMS. I see cool popups and themes. I don't think either one blinks a colored notification though do they? I know Handcent had that option to check but it never worked. I tend to send a friend to long of a text sometimes and I guess I should just email him but his signal isn't so good at work and he will get 2 or 3 separate messages and not all in one and there out of sequence sometimes. I know it's a setting and we've tried to change settings but can't get it to come out right so we chat on Tikl and just got Yahoo Messenger to use.

But I would like to try Go without deleting Handcent and see how I like it compared to Handcent but I have read there pretty much the same so I don't know if I really need it or not but I may try it. I'm reading reviews now on who likes which one better and why.

Upvote 0
Can you have a different text notification sound for each person on Go SMS like on Handcent? I may try Go SMS. I see cool popups and themes. I don't think either one blinks a colored notification though do they? I know Handcent had that option to check but it never worked. I tend to send a friend to long of a text sometimes and I guess I should just email him but his signal isn't so good at work and he will get 2 or 3 separate messages and not all in one and there out of sequence sometimes. I know it's a setting and we've tried to change settings but can't get it to come out right so we chat on Tikl and just got Yahoo Messenger to use.

But I would like to try Go without deleting Handcent and see how I like it compared to Handcent but I have read there pretty much the same so I don't know if I really need it or not but I may try it. I'm reading reviews now on who likes which one better and why.

My husband uses go and i use handcent and yes they are kinda the same. The thing that annoys me about go is sometimes when my husband sends me a pic it comes thru as a link not a picture. So then I have to click that and wait for the page to load and sometimes the pic only loads half way.

I'm not sure about separate notification tones per person on go my husband just uses one for everyone. And the color led blinking won't work for different colors on the inspire with go or handcent. The led isn't capable of any other color.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I didn't think the colored LED worked. I used to have wimax notifier on my EVO 4G and it blinked red and green but it doesn't work on EVO 3D. But yeah I just got done reading reviews and I googled Handcent verses Go SMS and I already have Handcent and like it so I'll stick with it. But when going under main settings it just says blinking LED with no options underneath when it's checked but under a specific persons settings if that blinking LED is checked in the main settings it shows other options like color of LED and Flash frequency but there not an option for me to click on but I knew the colored LED didn't work anyway but someone on one form said his did blue. But Thanks, I like Handcent and might as well stick with it. Go just looked like it had some cute popups.

My husband uses go and i use handcent and yes they are kinda the same. The thing that annoys me about go is sometimes when my husband sends me a pic it comes thru as a link not a picture. So then I have to click that and wait for the page to load and sometimes the pic only loads half way.

I'm not sure about separate notification tones per person on go my husband just uses one for everyone. And the color led blinking won't work for different colors on the inspire with go or handcent. The led isn't capable of any other color.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones