Stock/Vanilla Android kind of sucks...

Last Updated:

1. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, its not that bad but in all honesty, I found it to be pretty bland and boring (almost ugly). It also lacks many nice features found on other phones with manufactuer overlays, (This is probably the biggest reason why they put those overlays on top of stock android).

Obviously the best thing about it of course is the quicker updates (in most cases). But other than that, my experience with stock was not too fun compared to using now Launcher Pro overtop of just plain stock and even now over TW (I know, i know, people hate TW).

Just had to put this out there. (At work TBC)

...Continued:

Things That need to be fluffed up/updated or changed in order for me to want it are:

- Smoother UI (Scrolling through the home screens is not as smooth as I've seen on Launcher Pro, ADW, Sense, and even TouchWiz 3)

- The Video player with the three gray control buttons at the bottom is just too plain for me compared to the other video players I've seen on Android phones

- The Music player is pretty much the same deal as above

- The gray theming that is on vanilla android phones is super bland and the yellow accent colors for loading bars, highlights, etc.

- The white notification bar is not to my liking and I also don't like the look of it once its pulled down either.

- The app icons are kind of bland/ugly as well (although it improved going from cupcake to Ecclair)

- The dock bar below needs to be more customizable (like ADW and Launcher Pro)

- It needs a Leap or leap like feature where you can pinch the home screen to see them all in a helicopter view. (Its in TouchWiz 3.0 Froyo, Launcher Pro and ADW Launcher as well)

These are just some of the changes I would like.

Advertisement
  2. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

That's what the professional reviews say also. They say that HTC sense and Moto blur add a lot over the standard interface.

Funny that many people here that had the original droid say they prefer the stock UI.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

That's the beauty of Android. Vanilla Android is like a new house with contractor-white walls. You need to paint it and hang a few pictures to make it truly your own.

xene68 likes this.
  4. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I love stock Android. If I want something different I choose it myself. I use LauncherPro+ and other apps/widgets I chose.

I have a Droid X which comes with MOTOBLUR, I have installed rubiX ROM because it is as close to stock android as we have on the X.

I don't like Sense on HTC phones either, I have no experience with TouchWiz yet

I wouldn't care if you could delete what you didn't want without rooting, but when I have to root the phone to delete crap that I don't want on my phone that's when I hate it.

xene68 likes this.
  5. clutchy

clutchy Well-Known Member

i prefer vanilla to anything else b/c you can do whatever you want with it.

xene68 likes this.
  6. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

Here are some points I have to say, after having experience stock and with layered UIs.

1. The stock Android UI is probably the most reliable in my experience, especially on Froyo. On the other hand, HTC Sense on Froyo seems to do a lot of UI only crashing and rebooting on its own. By what I mean as a UI reboot, its only the UI that crashes and reboots, unaffecting everything else. Even apps that are currently running won;t be affected by a UI reboot.

2. The stock UI isn't the smoothest but that's because the layered UIs like HTC Sense and Touchwiz 3, and especially these do, do a lot of hard coded native optimizations to their respective CPU's GPU.

3. I like the Touchwiz lockscreen the best, followed by the Eclair/Froyo lockscreen. The Samsung lockscreen lets you start up the phone by sliding by a motion in any direction, instead of just sideways.

4. Samsung also got the best notification bar. Its got a nice dark grey theme, includes four power and silence widgets, and makes a nice display of the music player if played. I also like the way it uses neon green for downloads, and uses multicolored directional arrows for the uplink and downlink symbols.

5. I like the HTC seven home screen pinch view.

6. I like the Froyo's stationary phone icon of all the UIs that have stationary phone icons.

7. I like the Touchwiz Edit homescreen facility that lets you switch the places of the homescreens.

8. I like the HTC Sense facility to save different UI "scenes" and use preset templates of such.

9. I like Motoblur's ability to resize widgets.

10. I like the stock Gallery best.

11. I like the Samsung's music player best.

12. For camera apps, I like HTC's because it lets you select point of focus by touch.

13. If you press the power button on the HTC long enough, it shows a menu that includes among other things, an option to enable and disable mobile data. I find it an excellent option if you want to ration data use.

14. i prefer the stock UI in the way if you save a contact into the homescreen, all the pop up options appear before you when you press down on it. Samsung kept this system stock, but HTC choose to modify it.

jroc likes this.
  7. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Why 14, should have gone 15:)

Vanilla android for me, there's enough apps widgets out there to enhance vanilla android

8. Eazail70x7

Could you explain #14? Not sure what you mean? If I put a contact on my home screen it allows me to tap on it and a bunch of options pop up (call, text, email, etc.). Isn't this the same thing stock does? Just checked on My Moment and it does the same thing. Please elaborate on 14 cause it seems I can do that (not sure if you are refering to something else)

9. Guamguy

The way the contacts pop up menu is presented in HTC Sense is a little different from the stock UI presentation if you press on a contacts shortcut on the Homescreen. On Touchwiz, they left the stock presentation alone.

On HTC Sense, you have to pick a default action for that shortcut. Not on the stock shortcut. Clicking on the shortcut brings you to the default action (view contact information, text, call, etc,.) I put View Info, and if I click on the short cut, the entire menu and contact information fills up the screen. On the stock, pressing on the shortcut opens a pop up balloon on top of the short cut, with icons for text, calling, email, gmail, gtalk, yahoo, facebook, twitter, depending if you got the apps synced to it.

BTW, I find it interesting that Nexus One, Droid Eris and MyTouch 3G appeared under my name there. I do own a Droid Incredible, HTC Desire (Asian edition) and a Samsung Galaxy S i9000, the last two are unlocked and no contract.

10. alamoe

alamoe Well-Known Member

Just about all of the features you like are in CM 6.1

11. JevyJav

JevyJav Well-Known Member

Ive played with blur touchwiz and sense and I have to say I prefer stock by far. I will agree that it is bland however it is fully open to the user to customize it however they feel fit. If I were to post a screen shot of my phone you would probably not even be able to tell it is an android device. The vast majority of customizations I have made can all be done without root and simply by downloading market apps as well as some non market ones. Stock froyo on the nexus is FAST add that to the fact that with a stock device you are first in line to revieve any updates google handsout than its a nobrainer. If you like the stuff thats in some of these manufacturer skins (which often at times slow down the device) than you should be able to download it your self which you can do on the market and around the net however it should be your choice. Stock froyo is like a clean midrange sports car that you buy fresh off the lot. Its up to you to pimp it out and these are some of the tools I used:

*launcherpro plus
    *desktop visulizer
    *beautiful widgets
    *lpi or search the net for icon packages
    * handcent
    *search the market for what ever media player replacement looks best to you(im using cm6 music player)
    * wallpaper- your choice, its essential

Like I said using these apps people can not tell what my phone is other than by looking at my live wallpaper which gives it away. Majority of all my design tweaks are non root. Only rooted ui tweaks I have made was changing my phones performance and the color of the notication bar but I use launcherpro to hide it anyway unless im in an app or browser.
    Trust me buddy stock is better

12. imtoomuch

imtoomuch Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I don't agree that Sense is unstable or unreliable. Sense does crash and restart on occasion, but I wouldn't call it often at all.

If none of the manufacturers put a UI on top of Android I guarantee it wouldn't be as successful as it is today. People like nice looking things and Vanilla is plain ugly. You can credit the look of the iPod and iPhone hardware and OS as huge reasons that those devices were runaway successes.

Hopefully the next version of Android gets prettier and more user friendly.

13. Guamguy

I don't have that much problems with HTC Sense, considering I got three phones with it already and might like to get another. Still something happend on my DINC after its Froyo update.

I loved using my Droid Eris because of HTC Sense that I didn't mind that it was Android 1.5, or that more powerful Androids were available, like the Motorola Droid. When I got my Nexus One, I still used my Droid Eris more often. It was my staple Android 2.0 or 2.1 alone felt bare even with HTC Sense over Android 1.5. The experience was good enough for me to hunt down an HTC Desire and Droid Incredible later on as its replacement because I know HTC Sense 2.0 on Android 2.1 would rock.

So HTC Sense 1.0 was good. It was even better when the Eris was upgraded to Android 2.1, and after a minor update to that, the phone was rock solid. It was in this state when I switched. One regret is that only the OS was uipdated, HTC Sense wasn't. I think that's one way HTC wants you to buy a new phone.

So I now have HTC Sense 2.0, which is first introduced on the HTC Desire and also seen on the Droid Incredible and Evo. (Sense 1.0 is the one on the HTC Hero and Eris). Reliable enough under 2.1, although HTC Peep has its issues. Froyo came along, and while the Desire was OK, the Dinc developed issues. Mainly it would reboot by itself once in a while, where you would audibly hear DROID! But today I managed to find out why, and managed to work around a bug dealing with HTC Sense for Facebook.

14. Eazail70x7

Lol, it really said droid before cutting off?