Stolen HTCSupport

Last Updated:

1. seanxx

seanxx New Member

Hi all,

Just had my HTC sense XL stolen by a nimbled fingered theif while I am in the Congo.
    It's an unlocked UK phone, and unfortunately I did'nt realise I had to install my own software to track/destroy it if it got stolen. A friend experienced the same incident a few months ago, but tracked then bricked his IPhone, remotely, I wrongly assumed this service came with the device.
    Anyway, I phoned the HTC helpdesk but was dissappointed to find out that I should have pre-installed the software. Its a hard lesson learned, so a warning to all new users that sh*t happens occasionally, so prepare your phone.

Anyway, being that I have nothing more to loose, if there's a hacker with nothing much else to do but would like to try frying a phone remotely for self gratification, here's the details:

HTC sensation XL
    IEMI: ***************
    S/N: HT1AVVZ08298
    P/N: 99HPJ041-00

Currently located somewhere in Pointe Noire - Congo.

2. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

The only thing I know of that you can do after the fact us log on to the Play Store from a web browser and try installing Plan B from Lookout. As long as the phone is connected to your Google account still you can do this. That is however just a phone locator, not a remote wipe.

Reporting the phone stolen will get the IMEI blacklisted, but I don't know whether the Congolese networks will take note of that.
  3. Mayhem

Mayhem Well-Known Member Contributor

Lookout will allow for remote lock and wipe. You can push installation to the phone via Play and a web browser.
  4. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Can you activate the phone wipe without doing any setup on the handset?
  5. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

The Congo won't take any notice of an EMEI blacklisted outside of the Congo (arguable if it would make any difference blacklisting in the Congo, TBH). At the minute, the blacklists are not shared internationally.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

There isn't any way to "brick" a device remotely.
  7. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

8. Neels Groenewald

Neels Groenewald New Member

9. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Stolen or not, I've removed the IEMI from view for reasons of security. :)
    downthemachine and scary alien like this.
  10. Sahri

Sahri Active Member

Man, that sucks. Did you have an insurance for that phone?

But wasn't it possible for the police to brick a phone if they have the IMEI?