Stolen phone questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. Kouske

Kouske Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well my phone was stolen today, which sucks. But it brings me to a question I always wanted to know - if my provider blocks the phone completely (sim&phone block), is there a way to hack it/make it work again?

Advertisement
  2. Akshun

Akshun Active Member

They will be able to use the phone no problem but they won't be using your plan. Once a sim is killed it can't be reactivated. So unless your phone thief has your account information, they will not adversely effect your bill.

3. Kouske

I'm actually talking about an option for the provider to sort of brick the phone. I heard there's another way to block the phone except for blocking the sim...

4. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

IMEI Bar, these can be reversed

5. Akshun

Akshun Active Member

I'm getting the feeling that you don't want someone to have access to the information on your phone....if that is the case then I don't believe that an IMEI Bar will do the trick. There are applications such as SMobile Anti-Theft that allow you to remotely wipe your phone of all of its info. Butttt you have to have already had them installed on your phone.

6. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

Blackberry's and windows mobile have remote wipe options when connected as enterprise users. Other phones dont.

IMEI barring blocks the serial number of the phone from logging onto the network. Depending on the country the bar only applies to you're network, the entire country, or a collection of western european countries. Some networks won't barr it.

Most UK networks will automatically barr the last phone your SIM was in if you report it stolen, unless told otherwise.

7. Kouske

Well I have officially lost my Galaxy. Gotta admit this really sucks. But hey, now I can wait for the Nexus or something to drop in value and get it. The damn provider wants 270$ for a re-newed phone... :(
    At least I learned how to use adb and stuff..So long my little ginny pig phone *tear*..

PS
    I don't really care about the info on my phone, I just changed my google account password so they can't access my stuff...And I really do hope they find the phone useless since in my country android phones aren't really popular (especially ones that don't have hebrew as the main language)..

8. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

Don't worry it'll crash and need a restore or odin soon. Good luck with the thief trying to figure out odin, adb etc by himself :p

9. Kouske

That's what I thought. It doesn't bring the phone back, but at least it removes some bitter taste from my lips. :)

10. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Probably a bit late now, but I've been playing with this recently.

https://www.wavesecure.com/wavesecure/Android.aspx

Seems good so far. I know that there's ways round it, but as a first line of defence I think it's a good idea. They're selling it on a subscription model, but early adopters get free a lifetime subscription (though it costs you the price of an international SMS to enable it, small price to pay I reckon).

11. DemonDomen

DemonDomen Active Member

I have WaveSecure installed.
    If you can ignore the constant locking and SMSing my buddy that my phone is stolen, it's great.

I'm looking for an alternative, but haven't found one that has the same functions as this one.

12. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

I've not had a problem with it personally. YMMV, etc etc.

13. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

wavesecure is awsome
    wheres my droid is also good, text yourself a code word and make the phone transmit the gps location back

14. Kouske

Well, got my phone back. I don't know for sure how it happened but I assume the person who stole it found it too difficult to use so he just threw it in my gyms locker room and someone else picked it up and called me. :)

15. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

wow! you must be happpy:)
    no install some security apps so next time you can gps track it ^^

did you by any chance leave it in your gyms locker room? that would be funny lol