• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stolen Samsung S3

650AC

Lurker
Jul 9, 2013
I am new to this forum. I just had my Samsung S3 stolen at the store. Anyway, called AT&T and blocked the IMEI. I was told that four months ago, all of the carriers now check other carrier lists for blocked numbers. So, why are people stealing the phones if they can not use on ANY carrier once unlocked? parts?

There is always a carrier that will activate a phone regardless of the IMEI's status in other databases. You should have installed androidlost using the online market before deactivating the IMEI so you'd have a better chance of getting it back. I actually build androidlost into the system of any phone I own so it can't be erased by people tech-savy enough to wipe the phone.

Reactions: javamann
Upvote 0
There's three reasons that would be a common answer
1)Because they can still be activated in other countries because the list of blocked IMEI numbers is not universal.
2)For parts/sell as scrap. Especially the screen for people who broke theirs and want to replace it manually.
3)To try to sell it as is to an unsuspecting person. This is why you always request the ESN/IMEI number when buying a used phone to make sure you're not getting ripped off.

Note, I obviously do not condone this in any manor. It is still theft, plain and simple.

Upvote 0
I use android lost too :)

For years and years now in my country, all carriers use the same database to block phones and it still isnt a deterant lol. Its just one of them annoying things in life :beer:
The problem is that they don't. Usually carrier within the same country use the same database, but it's not one list across the world. A phone stolen here in the US can be sold to someone in Australia for example and it would work because they wouldn't see it as blacklisted.

Upvote 0
Next phone you get make sure it's installed. I recommend rooting the phone & placing the androidlost.apk in /system/app/ Then if you don't need root remove SuperUser.apk and su from /system/bin/. It will make your phone practically impossible to get away with stealing & make sure you have stock recovery installed so they can't accidentally/intentially wipe the system of the phone.

Reactions: 650AC
Upvote 0
I heard most EU carriers share the database amongst them, at least I read so. If that is the case, a blacklisted phone here in the UK cannot be used anywhere else in Europe (in theory). However, selling it in other places such as in Asian countries, etc. is still an alternative for thieves. They really should have a worldwide database.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Yeah they should.
What would be better though is if local police took smartphone theft seriously. In my friends experience, via the power of android he found out the thiefs name and address and decided to do things legaly. The police did nothing with the info so we had to get it back by our own means. Thats not right imo :(

Upvote 0
Yeah they should.
What would be better though is if local police took smartphone theft seriously. In my friends experience, via the power of android he found out the thiefs name and address and decided to do things legaly. The police did nothing with the info so we had to get it back by our own means. Thats not right imo :(
It's true, you tell the police, they do a report, and they recommend that you just use insurance to get a replacement. Those without insurance are screwed.

Upvote 0
There is always a carrier that will activate a phone regardless of the IMEI's status in other databases. You should have installed androidlost using the online market before deactivating the IMEI so you'd have a better chance of getting it back. I actually build androidlost into the system of any phone I own so it can't be erased by people tech-savy enough to wipe the phone.
I also filed a theft police report. So, if a carrier activates a stolen IMEI phone, that is in a database, and listed with the police as stolen, aren't they "dealing in stolen goods"?

Upvote 0
Oh right next door lol. Yeah it doesn't matter. The carriers choose whether or not if they want to participate in the stolen phone database thing. Carriers like Cricket & Metro PCS don't do it for sure. I don't know too much about the GSM side of things and how they share this info. When you think about it tho we only have 2 or 3 major GSM carriers & the others are MVNO that use those networks. So when you think about it, it's easier to regulate.

Upvote 0
Hey, if it wasn't for the ecoATM I don't think you would be getting your phone back. They may make it easier for thieves to cash out on their stolen merchandise but it also makes it easier for the victim to retrieve if their phone is stolen and placed in one. As for "Fueling violent crime" it's gonna happen one way or another. They will get their $. My dad had his phone ripped from his hands on a bus and I'm sure the df didn't know about ecoATMs.

Upvote 0
Just thought I would post a follow up about the theif trying to sell my phone at an ecoatm in the mall...

Well, the police had ALL the information on the person trying to sell my stolen phone, and they told me that this person was also on probation by the way. BUT, they didn't do anything about it. Told me the person could just say that my phone was given to him...blah blah blah. Wow, so disappointing. I mean the thief could have 50 stolen cell phones at his house...who knows. I had given the police the ecoatm lead, whom they contacted...got the info..and then did nothing.

Upvote 0
Just thought I would post a follow up about the theif trying to sell my phone at an ecoatm in the mall...

Well, the police had ALL the information on the person trying to sell my stolen phone, and they told me that this person was also on probation by the way. BUT, they didn't do anything about it. Told me the person could just say that my phone was given to him...blah blah blah. Wow, so disappointing. I mean the thief could have 50 stolen cell phones at his house...who knows. I had given the police the ecoatm lead, whom they contacted...got the info..and then did nothing.
That's the difference between the police in the US and the UK, here they would have given you a crime number, and then done nothing! Phil

Reactions: javamann
Upvote 0
I have allways been very careful with any high dollar item i am going to carry, And i also always have my trusty Glock23 concealed on me, and i don't intend on giving anything up easy to some robbing fool.;)
I sympathize with you, but if u dare use that Glock it's gonna cost u a lot more than replacing a phone.

JM

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones