Stop album art from being visible in the photo app

Last Updated:

1. sextoada

sextoada New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all

I just got an HTC desire and I am on my 6th day of playing with it. At first I thought it was a big step up from my previous phone (that had real buttons...and lots of them) however after I started copying my music to the tiny 4Gb SD card I realised that my photos app was showing all the album art work. This was actually quite annoying and it has taken me some hours to find a solution. If anyone is having the same problem they will realise how annoying this is, so I have documented below how to solve it.

The problem seems to come from two sources:

1. The Desire (and I guess other android devices) scan the entire SD card for media. Sure enough the scan would return some jpg images located in my MP3 folder (the album art work). Android seems to be limited here and you cannot create an exclsuion folder that doesnt effect both the music app and the photo app (so, this rules out the .nomedia folder)

2. Tagging the MP3's correctly using ID3 tags should appearntly solve this problem. Although you have to be careful here as I have found that not all media players tag the MP3's in the same way. Windows Media player and Tag Runner both tag the MP3 so it appears correct (no separate jpg image is created) however, they still appear in the photo's app.

The only application I have found that works is mediamonkey. Tagging all my MP3's using media monkey stops the album art work appearing in the photo's app which has made my trowling through for my pictures much more graceful.

I hope others find this helpful!

Adam

Advertisement
  2. Sideshow

Sideshow New Member

The android music player indexes the music files and folders the first time they are loaded on the SD card so if u place the album art in the folder allow it to index it. Then u r free to delete it and it will still appear in the music player but not the photos gallery.

3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

As much as iProducts annoy me, iTunes can tag them correctly too.

4. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

I created a nomedia file and hide the pictures in there, works like a charm here is the instructions:

How to hide non-music audio files from appearing in Android media players | andrew | Google Android Blog

The instructions are a bit vague, but you basically create the file ".nomedia" with notepad (using all files not txt) and place that in the folder you don't want android to see (so you will have to create a separate folder and place your album art in that folder along with the nomedia file).

5. Markiz

Markiz Well-Known Member

Why do you guys not embed album art? Why would you keep it separate?

6. onboard

onboard Member

HI all, I am new here but have this exact same problem.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant on T Mobile) and am using the Cubed media player. cubed media player is great, and can grab album art that does not get transferred over when you sync. I am using Media Monkey for my music library and syncing.

The problem occurs when I go to open the "Gallery" program in Android, it presents every single image file available anywhere on the phone. Why the heck isn't there an option to only show files in .../ location? This is a serious oversight. Is there a substitute program for "Gallery" that allows a user specified location for photos? The camera won't let me choose the folder location either. This is very frustrating as it seems that the only solution brought forth here is a real hacker solution, and only limits your functionality, not increasing it.

If anyone has any tips it would be most appreciated. Thank you

7. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

read post #4

I have done this in all kinds of different folders I did not want the images to shop up in the Gallery

8. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

The best way would be to use itag on the phone or mp3tag on the pc to embedd the album art into the mp3 so that you dont have separate picture files for the album art.

9. Red_Avatar

Red_Avatar Well-Known Member

Embedding is the *only* correct way if you want to avoid all sorts of hassle.

10. onboard

onboard Member

The .nomedia option only works if you want to exclude that directory form any media use. Given that this is for music files, adding a .nomedia file renders the directory useless. I tried that already unfortunately.

11. onboard

onboard Member

Well all the developer would have to do would be to add a very simple functional addition in the settings to limit the gallery to a designated folder(s). Many other programs have such simple functionality.

12. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

That might work for a few tracks but for 10's of albums?

13. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I do it (and don't hate me for this), using iTunes. It will find art for all of your music and embed it within the files in a few seconds. (Adding your own art is easy too).

14. jeremy_inc

jeremy_inc Well-Known Member

I put my music in a folder media\music\ and voila, the albumarts don't show up in Gallery.
    When I used to store in media\audio they would show up, and I used to rename them all to albumart.jpg - that got pretty annoying. I should get round to embedding them properly but I'm a pretty lazy guy.

15. No_u

No_u Well-Known Member

Just get rid of the files and download "Album Art Grabber", gives album art for all the songs without adding visible pictures to your gallery

16. onboard

onboard Member

Well ok that would be my ideal first step as well, however I have not found a way to change the default audio media location on my Vibrant Galaxy-S. How do I change the default location for audio media? I have not found a way to do this in cubed media player. Others? Also, it seems that Gallery scans the entire phone for images, and would still find the album art no matter where I chose to hide it.