• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stop buttons from turning on the Droid?

We're all new to this so I don't feel too dumb asking (although about half dumb)...

What do you mean by locking the screen? I'm asking because I find it highly annoying that I have to press the power button, then do a swipe from left to right to be able to do anything on the phone. I find it redundant to have to do both. Sounds like maybe one of these steps is the "lock" and I might be able to disable it.

Any help?
Thanks!

Upvote 0
We're all new to this so I don't feel too dumb asking (although about half dumb)...

What do you mean by locking the screen? I'm asking because I find it highly annoying that I have to press the power button, then do a swipe from left to right to be able to do anything on the phone. I find it redundant to have to do both. Sounds like maybe one of these steps is the "lock" and I might be able to disable it.

Any help?
Thanks!

Every phone I've ever had has required either a button combination or opening the phone in order to unlock it. Just hitting a single button to unlock it would inevitably cause unintended unlocking. I could see if you wanted the phone to unlock upon opening it, but I can just see the single button press to unlock causing a huge annoyance.

Upvote 0
SCREEN MODE WIDGET.

Use "awake stay" mode and all you need to press is the power button on top to wake the phone. NO MORE SLIDER!!

Thanks Abe! This is just what the doctor ordered. Though I will say that it took me a moment to realize that you were saying to download an application from the Android Market. I just did and viola my frustration dropped.

Upvote 0
Yeah, this widget is great. I have been emailing the dev today with some tips and a little problem I had. He's very responsive.

My suggestions to him were:

1. Make it an app not a widget so its hidden.
2. Disable the volume and camera keys so that ONLY the top button wakes it up.
3. Include a password option for those who want some security.

Upvote 0
Yeah, this widget is great. I have been emailing the dev today with some tips and a little problem I had. He's very responsive.

My suggestions to him were:

1. Make it an app not a widget so its hidden.
2. Disable the volume and camera keys so that ONLY the top button wakes it up.
3. Include a password option for those who want some security.

1. It doesn't bother me being a widget because it gives me access to it quickly.
2. HELL FREAKING YEAH...that's my only complaint.
3. Why not? Someone may need it....

But 2 is my biggest gripe. I'd even pay for this widget.

You say he's been responsive. Any idea when an update may come?

Upvote 0
It looks like he updated it recently to fix the freeze up.

I'd like to see the camera/volume buttons be disabled as well. Perhaps make that configurable. I like the way I don't have to fumble around for the little power button, and just hit the bigger buttons, but this is a drawback for when it's in my pocket.

Is there a way to disable the volume/camera buttons globally?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones