Stop future OTA's

1. stevefranks

stevefranks Member

I am curious if anyone has a link to something explaining how to stop OTA's that I could read up on. I rooted my verizon S4 last night, but want to be proactive in stopping Verizon from trying to unroot my phone. I'm annoyed enough with the changes they made from the other S4 versions, but I'm working around those.

Advertisement
  2. brownchm

brownchm Well-Known Member

You can install something like OTA RootKeeper to keep root if your phone updates or try to freeze the updater with Titanium Backup
  3. pego99

pego99 Member

How do I freeze the updater with titanium backup? What file am I looking for to freeze?
  4. brownchm

brownchm Well-Known Member

all you have to do is tap the backup/restore and look on the list for something with OTA or updater from the carrier, click on it and then click freeze
  5. pego99

pego99 Member

I can't find either file name can you be more specific?
  6. Dwitm

Dwitm Well-Known Member

Does verizon update without my peermission???
  7. joesixpack

joesixpack Well-Known Member

If you're rooted but on stock rom, do this to stop OTA's:

The actual OTA download will be located in /cache. Delete with Root Browser or Root File Manager if present.

Freeze via Titanium Backup: FWUpgrade.apk and SDM.apk

Use Root Browser or Root File Manager to:
    Rename file: /etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak
    Rename file: /system/app/ wssyncmlnps.apk to wssyncmlnps.apk.bak

Then do the following:
    1. Open Root Browser or Root File Manager
    2. Navigate to data/fota
    3. Long Press and select Permissions
    4. Uncheck all boxes making it 0000

The last bit is overkill, but you can do it if the OCD kicks in.

Just Say No to root-killing updates :thumbdown: !
  8. shmn

shmn Well-Known Member

Will this work on Sprint phones or is this Verizon specific?
  9. joesixpack

Not sure. I found this stuff on the Verizon forums, and can't find anything that would tell me how to stop it on other carrier's variants.
    shmn likes this.
  10. beowulf7

beowulf7 Well-Known Member

Thanks Joe! If I freeze the 2 .apk files you mention with Titanium Backup, then do I still need to do the other stuff with root browser? (I use ES File Explorer, which I assume should also locate those directories and files.) So far, I've just been telling the nightly "upgrade" reminders to go away for another day.
  11. joesixpack

You can, but it's not as important as the app freezings. ES File Manager should work just fine - I just mentioned Root Browser because that's what I'm used to.

This has worked great for me. So far, not a single update notification!
  12. beowulf7

beowulf7 Well-Known Member

Thanks again. Just to let others know, merely freezing (via Titanium Backup) the 2 files that Joe6Pack mentioned (FWUpgrade.apk and SDM.apk) was enough so that my phone wouldn't keep bothering me that an upgrade was available. I didn't have to do the rest root browser/file manager stuff.
    TheAtheistReverend likes this.