• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stop Google Maps from Starting

Google Maps keeps opening in my running services and I know that most of these apps don't take up memory but I'm concerned more that someone is tracking my position through the app. Either way...is there any good app out there that can keep this app or any app from auto-starting? Or a method besides an app? My phone is rooted by the way so any apps or methods that require root access are fine.

I used to use the Android App Task Manager or whatever it was called but I mostly use the Super Manager except it's not clear on whether it can prevent apps from auto-starting or not.

Help?

Assuming Maps is preloaded in the OS of your phone, nothing can tell it what to do, even task killers. The OS likes to load apps if there’s space just to get them out of the barn, I guess. Someone will advise you to root any minute now, but not me. Try turning off GPS and see if it goes away.

Upvote 0
Google Maps keeps opening in my running services and I know that most of these apps don't take up memory but I'm concerned more that someone is tracking my position through the app. Either way...is there any good app out there that can keep this app or any app from auto-starting? Or a method besides an app? My phone is rooted by the way so any apps or methods that require root access are fine.

I used to use the Android App Task Manager or whatever it was called but I mostly use the Super Manager except it's not clear on whether it can prevent apps from auto-starting or not.

Help?

Try wiping cache/data and force stopping of the app itself.

Upvote 0
I mostly use the Super Manager except it's not clear on whether it can prevent apps from auto-starting or not.
Super Manager gives you the ability to disable individual permissions on a per-app basis. Try disablling RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED or ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION. Some apps won't run with services/permissions disabled, but it's worth a try.

Upvote 0
Super Manager gives you the ability to disable individual permissions on a per-app basis. Try disablling RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED or ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION. Some apps won't run with services/permissions disabled, but it's worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that method too and let you guys know if it works.

The "Maps" service is often used by other third-party apps that use location-aware features. Check to see if anything you've installed are performing location lookups, and also check from within Maps itself that you're signed out of Latitude.

Latitude is disabled. My GPS has been disabled for hours now and when I just checked the running services, Maps was not included in the list like it normally is. It could potentially be what you were saying or could've been the actual Maps app trying to gain access.

None of my other apps use location services or at least say they do so except for one which is called NavFree USA which doesn't seem to use GPS except on initial use because it downloads the entire map region for a selected state/country. But perhaps I accidentally allow the Browser to use my location on a website such as Google.com

Sorry, but you weren

Upvote 0
Actually, it didn't work. A few more hours later and I find Google Maps starting on its own again even with GPS disabled. At least it can't call out where my exact location is...but still.

@Mr. Lucky, how do you access that part in Super Manager? I've granted it Superuser access and I went into where you can view its permissions in the Super Manager app and I see the two permission lines that you are talking about but clicking them doesn't do anything, long-pressing them only takes me backwards, "Menu" doesn't bring up any menu, and none of the other buttons on the page seem to help.

Upvote 0
I bleeve that. But how about the ability to move it to SD? Maps is huge, which makes it more tempting to actually root someday.

Yep! It's moved to the SD card via a SD ext I created in the recovery. It was one of my first apps to move over because its so huge.

Reactions: jefboyardee
Upvote 0
Maps itself isn't active. Just the location service many other apps use: like your camera, Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Google+, PlayStore. Many apps use location based services. In the example of PlayStore, it knows where you are so it shows you specific apps that are available only for your country and stuff. Really nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones