• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help stop message preview on swipe down notification bar?

chattygirl

May 17, 2010
Id appreciate some help please...:)

I'm using Whatsapp and love getting the notification icon in the top left hand corner of the screen. But is there anyway I can prevent the full message from being displayed when I swipe the notification bar down. I want to be notified I've received a message but I'd like the swipe down function disabled I guess......or no message preview??

I can't see a way on stock....would another launcher allow me to do this?
Many thanks in advance.

I've never known an app to have settings that limit the notification content
Handcent has this exact option. Under settings -> notification settings -> notification settings you can check or uncheck privacy mode. Without privacy it shows there is a message and most of the message (depending on the length) with privacy enabled it just shows there is a message (may show from whom, I only used it once and did not like it).

I have never used whatsapp so I do not know, but if you go to the play store page there should be a link to contact the dev or their website. If you get in touch with them they will know better if it is possible and if it isn't you could suggest it to them.

Upvote 0
Many thanks for your replies. I agree there are no settings within Whatsapp but yes I've emailed developer today so will wait and see in future maybe?

I love the app as its free messaging and the whole family have it.....and yes its just a privacy preference for me lol....

I've found a workaround by using pattern lock on lock screen. This then disables the swipedown to read the message.....but allowing the icon to remain in notification bar.

Didn't particularly want to lock whole phone.....but this works for me at the mo.

Many thanks again x

Upvote 0
Many thanks for your replies. I agree there are no settings within Whatsapp but yes I've emailed developer today so will wait and see in future maybe?

I love the app as its free messaging and the whole family have it.....and yes its just a privacy preference for me lol....
I've found a workaround by using pattern lock on lock screen. This then disables the swipedown to read the message.....but allowing the icon to remain in notification bar.

Didn't particularly want to lock whole phone.....but this works for me at the mo.

Many thanks again x

i would be obliged if u share the solution to this problem with me as well coz even i am encountering this problem
thanks in advance

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones