Stop the update notification

Last Updated:

1. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

With Verizon trying to push an update, is there a way to stop the update notifications from popping up periodically because I want no part of it from what i've read.

Advertisement
  2. GRZLA

GRZLA Well-Known Member

If you have a custom recovery installed just hit install and it will reject the update. If you don't have a custom recovery then you sadly just have to deal with it.

flyinjoe13 likes this.
  3. flyinjoe13

Cool, I do have one so I will do that. Thanks.....

4. gaetawoo

gaetawoo Guest

that does not work for me. I've been using the lastest version of drellisdee's recovery and when i hit install update, it does it's thing, says can't install, reboots, and now the hard Home button doesn't work anymore and when i press and hold the Power button, the 3 options that normally come up (silent mode, airplane mode, power off) don't appear, only power off. so something gets broken. I've tried MANY times. do not work.

5. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

Sounds like you need to reflash your rom i had it happen once but not because of an OTA

6. gaetawoo

gaetawoo Guest

I tried that too and the update came back and rinse and repeat. i had done it with stock and also with velocity

7. death2all110

That's weird. so you've tried going back 100% stock v6 with stock recovery and it hasn't worked?

8. gaetawoo

gaetawoo Guest

precisely. I went all the way back, got the v8 update, put the custom recovery on, and let it install the update, and it failed on the install.. phone restarts and bam, no home button and no options on power button hold down. i've tried all kinds of combinations of roms and reinstalls and everything and nothing works. very annoying. but someone, (was it you) said you could just rename the ota update files on the system and it would stop the updates... my idea is to go back to a v8, then modify the files. how do i modify the files, do you know the commands? i'm not to savvy on linux

9. flyinjoe13

The suggested fix worked perfectly for me, but I am using ClockWorkMod Recovery not drellisdee's recovery so maybe that's why it worked for me. Try using ClockWorkMod Recovery just long enough to stop the update notification and then install drellisdee's recovery if you prefer that one.

10. death2all110

Clockwork/Amon_RA recovery is what is causing the failed update. You need stock recovery for the update to be successful. flash the stock recovery. or pm me and i can do it for you via teamviewer. my main machine is dual boot win 7/ubuntu. xp virtual machine. usually run linux. so im good with linux commands and such. I switch back and forth between custom and stock 2-3 times daily messing with things etc