1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Stop update notification

1. Yaksha

Yaksha Well-Known Member

I'm rooted, and installed the version of Gingerbread that was available to incredible users a few months ago. Now, my phone is asking me to update again. However, I plan on getting the Galaxy Nexus when it comes out, and I don't want to risk breaking my phone with the official upgrade.

I have a "System update available" message in my Notification bar, and every time I unlock the phone it asks if I want to update. Is there any way, other than upgrading, to make those messages go away? I think the last time this happened with a FroYo upgrade there was a file I could modify, but I don't remember the details.

Advertisement
    :
  2. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well-Known Member

2 users report it working. :) All credit goes to iowa, of course.
  3. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Well-Known Member

And you! It did the trick for me. I waited for a day, no update nag. This DINC is gonna stay on 2.2 till I get another phone, maybe next year or something.
  4. Letines

Letines New Member

Mmolitor87 thank you for posting above, worked like a charm. Nag went away as soon as I changed line in root explorer. Thanks to Iowa also, I'm smiling again.
  5. droidhunter

droidhunter Member

I'm gonna show my ignorance and just ask...is root explorer something from the market or is it native to the dinc? tia...I'd like to use the instructions above but am not sure how to get started...
  6. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

Root explorer is in the market (it's a paid app).
    droidhunter likes this.
  7. droidhunter

droidhunter Member

ok, so I'm rooted 2.2 with Virtuous ROM...I suppose I'd use info from second quote box above for latest 2.3.4 update?? Thanks....
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon_wwe/inc/inc/inc:2.3.4/GRJ22/222219:user/release-keys
  8. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

You can also do this with ES File Explorer (a free app on the market).
  9. droidhunter

droidhunter Member

Update # is 4.08.605.2...
  10. droidhunter

droidhunter Member

Does it really work as well :confused:

11. euph_22

It's how I did it.

I think this is the steps I did (this is something I only do about twice a year, so I have to figure out each time)
    1. open ES File Explorer, go into menu>settings. Change home directory to / and check Root Explorer AND mount file system under root settings
    2. back all the way out of the app, and load it again from the applications folder.
    3. scroll down to the build.prop file, long press and select properties. Hit the change button and make sure everything in the "write" column is selected. hit ok.
    4. tap on build.prop and open it in ES Note Editor, scroll down till you find the "ro.builb.fingerprint" line and edit it to match

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon_wwe/inc/inc/inc:2.3.4/GRJ22/222219:user/release-keys

(i just had change the numbers right before the :user/release-keys to 222219, but you're rom may be different).
    5. when that's done, hit menu>save. Then exit. Restart the phone.
    6. post on here about how it didn't work, and I'll try and work it through with you.
    gamul1, cosmokramer and droidhunter like this.
  12. droidhunter

droidhunter Member

Thanks so much for your reply. If i may, you were on rooted 2.2? If so, which information did you use to get rid of the notify? Quote box 1 or 2?

13. euph_22

Quote box 2, and I was running a 2.3 rom based on the September failed OTA.
    droidhunter likes this.
  14. droidhunter

droidhunter Member

Thanks again euph_22! I did not see your instructions above before my quote box post. I appreciate your patience....
  15. droidhunter

droidhunter Member

Worked like a charm!!! Notice was sitin there looking at me out of reboot, but I got a lil refresh icon up top and then the notice vanished! Thanks again!!
    cosmokramer likes this.
  16. rampart51

rampart51 Member

I use Redemption Rom 2.3. I changed my build.prop to :

I'm still getting the nag. I changed it yesterday at 12:27pm. I rebooted the phone after the change. I turned the phone off last nite and still get the nag this morning.

Anyone?
  17. rampart51

rampart51 Member

Today when I turned on my phone, no nag message! Go figure. But I like it!:)
  18. jcelam

jcelam New Member

I still have froyo 2.2 so what should and my build.prop reads ro.build.fingerprint=verizon_wwe/inc/inc/inc:2.2/FRF91/264707:user/release-keys

What do i need to change to block the 4.08.605.2 update?
  19. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # Moderator

Look at the 2nd quote in post #2 of this thread. That's what you want.
    j13smiley and jcelam like this.
  20. krisdr

krisdr Active Member

I also would like to stop the update message. I am afraid one of my children will hit update. I need my hand held on this. I am new to root. I rooted and downgraded to 2.2. Once I get a rom, which do you suggest, how do you proceed? I have read over and over this thread but it is over my head. Thank you.

Can I do this without buying root explorer?
  21. red97xj

red97xj Well-Known Member

Worked perfect! I have rooted but stock sense rom.
  22. jayDInc

jayDInc Well-Known Member

Looks like that did it although I followed a different path to edit the file. I booted into CWM, essentially following the instructions here.
    I used grep to find the fingerprint line:
    grep "fingerprint" build.prop
    I made a back up of build.prop:
    cp build.prop build.prop.bak
    Then used sed to change the line:
    sed -i "s!2.2/FRxxx/xxxxxx!2.3.4/GRJ22/222219!"
    Then I double checked it by running the grep command again, saw the change and then rebooted. No more nag!
  23. krisdr

krisdr Active Member

What is build.prop? I have seen it on several comments?
  24. euph_22

It's a text file that stores various data about the hardware and software configuration of your phone (the build properties, hence build.prop). You're stopping the notification by changing the file to say it already HAS the update.
    krisdr likes this.
  25. krisdr

krisdr Active Member

Is it possible to do it without buying root explorer? If so how?