Stopping BB v0.4 from Killing LauncherPro?

Last Updated:

1. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think, because of it's memory management, BB v0.4 keeps killing LauncherPro on me so that when I go back to my homescreen, LauncherPro needs to reload itself.

Is there anyway to specifically exclude LauncherPro from being killed by BB? I know it's not another task killed b/c I don't have any others installed.

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Are you using the "keep in memory" option within LauncherPro? That could have something to do with it. Try toggling it and see if it makes a difference.

3. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

I'm using BB v0.4 with launcher pro and have never had the screen redraw some have reported. Did you change any default options? I keep my settings pretty conservative; no 'keep in memory', no 'Droid hack', no '3d drawer', and only slightly faster speed settings.

4. spellrm

spellrm New Member

It's not just LauncherPro. I've tried ADW and albeit slightly better about it, it still happened. Recently, I tried just using the stock launcher thinking there's no way it would happen to it; it did.

I wonder if this is solely a BB issue, or just Froyo in general. I'm gonna flash Cyanogen ROM and see if it still happens.

5. gregg098

gregg098 Active Member

Im running one the original virgin Froyo builds with the stock launcher and have this problem all the time. I think its just due to having a snazzy background and lots of widgets.

6. KidFlash

KidFlash Well-Known Member

Make Launcher pro use up less memory.

7. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I don't know what else to try. I never noticed it doing that when I used BB V0.4, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I haven't noticed this happening with LauncherPro on any of the Froyo ROMs I've used, actually.

8. ZZMitch

ZZMitch Active Member

9. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

This may help, Try Autokiller from the market.

Autokiller is a Root app that adjusts the minium memory settings that Android uses as a guildline for when to kill applications. It isn't a task killer in the traditional sense since it just adjusts the thresholds at which android does what it does naturally, vs artifically force closing apps. Some ROMS (BB included I think) may adjust the min memory settings in an effort to get quicker speeds, but it can have an adverse effect if for instance your launcher keeps redrawing.

10. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

From my understanding, that's exactly what's happening. BB v0.4 has it set so there is always 50MB of free memory.

11. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

Yes but I'm not familar with exactly how it's keeping that memory free, Autokiller (or MinfreeManager is another app) manages the many different thresholds at which Android kills programs and what type of programs it kills. So you can keep memory free two different ways. First by say keeping "empty" apps out of ram, which are apps you aren't using but may use, they don't use battery or cpu cycles they just sit in RAM. Or you can free memory by killing content providers (like sync), background apps, and even the foreground app.

by say ensureing that empty apps get "killed" quickly say at 70 mb free, you are less likely to hit the much lower (like 30mb) threshold for background apps.

BUT!!! after some more research (via launcher pro forum and various dev IRC channels) I think the real problem is that Android doesn't handle multiple HOME apps very well, and handles proxy home apps (like quickdesk) even less.

Try this. Uninstall all home apps but LauncherPro, even the stock Launcher2, or at the very least remove all shortcuts and widgets from the other home apps, and see if that helps.

I removed ADW and Launcher2 and I haven't had a single redraw since then I installed quickdesk to test, and they began right up again, same with ADW.