Stopping the screen from locking?

Last Updated:

1. brittas

brittas Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to do this in certain situations? Eg, if I'm playing music in the car I'd like it to stay "alive".

Also, this morning I put google maps on to track my route but my screen kept locking.

I know keeping it on will kill the battery but I'll be charging it at work via my laptop most days anyway.

Advertisement
  2. dukeuk76

dukeuk76 Member

Menu/Settings/sound & display/screen timeout

3. brittas

Yes but that applies to everything. I want it to stay alive for certain things.

I've just downloaded "keepscreen lite" as this sounds like it could do the trick but I'll have to have a play to find out.

4. jaybea830802

jaybea830802 Well-Known Member

The other option is to use Toggle Settings. It has several screens of toggles, and different profiles (ring/notification volumes, screen timeouts, etc) but you can also set up rules based on time or certain conditions, one of which is whether the charger is connected. This means that you could have a profile which stops the screen turning off when the phone is connected to the charger.

Unfortunately, you cannot nest profiles like you can in Locale, so you can't get the screen to turn on when the phone is in the charger during the day, but turn it off at night. The ideal would be a fusion of Toggle Settings and Locale!

Search for Toggle Settings in the market.

J

5. ripkord

ripkord Well-Known Member

could also try anycut and add a button on your homescreen that toggles the dispay timeout to never.

6. brittas

Toggle settings sounds good. See... most of the things I need to keep lit up are for use in the car (maps, music, lastfm). And when I'm in the car I generally have the phone plugged into my FM transmitter so the headphone jack is in.

If I can never time out when the headphone jack is in, then it will always be lit up in the car!

7. brittas

Bah, toggle switch doesn't look for the headphone jack connection. Might try anycut then and set myself a switch

8. jaybea830802

jaybea830802 Well-Known Member

None of the Android software quite does what I want either! Frustrating, isn't it.

Do you also plug your phone into a charger when you are in the car? Toggle Settings would recognise that. Alternatively, you could just set up a manual toggle in Toggle Settings based on a "Car" profile. This could stop your screen from locking, set screen brightness and set the music and ringer volumes. You would set it from the Profiles screen. I have several profiles for meetings (quiet rings), outdoors (loud + vibrate), etc. A profile contains a set of toggles or settings that you can turn on or off as a group, either manually or from a rule.

J

9. whytey

whytey Member

Under Manage Applications > Developers Settings you can prevent screenlock when on external power. Try that.

10. brittas

Keepscreen seems to do the trick. As I've got the free version, it only allows me to choose 3 apps (although it states 2 but I've got 3 selected!), but it does the trick for now.