Storage

Last Updated:

1. Sherman901

Sherman901 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm looking to get a microSD card for my EVO by the 4th and I want to know what I should go for. I know Class 6 is the fastest, so that's what I thought I wanted to get and I wanted to get a 16gb but it looks like it's $80 on Amazon. Now, that's damn expensive for 16gb of storage and I'm not used to buying storage for my phone since I've had an iPhone. Is it worth it to drop to a lower storage capacity or a lower speed? How much of a difference does the transfer speed make on the phone? Does it hinder the speed of the phone at all? Also, for those lucky bastards that got the HTC EVO ahead of time, what kind of card comes with it?

Advertisement
  2. ZombieRace

ZombieRace Member

It ships with an 8gb class 2 microSD.

The speed of the card won't make the device itself inherently slower, but it will have slower speeds writing and reading data to and from the card. Which could possibly affect things like recording video, moving larger quantities of data, etc.

3. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

The class 6 is something I will be looking into. When 2.2 comes out you will be able to put large apps to the SD card. So speed may become a factor at that time.

4. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I don't have an Evo, but people have posted that the 8GB card is class 2 or 4 - don't remember exactly. Class 10 is actually the fastest, but class 6 should be plenty fast enough.

If you're using this primarily for photos or music storage, class 2 is probably plenty fine. Video, games, or other media that require near-instantaneous data access would require more.

I seriously doubt most people will see enough lag from normal use with a class 2.

My suggestion would be to simply use the 8GB card that it comes with to see if you need more speed than class 2 or unless you have more than 8GB of data you want on it from the start.

I'm going to use the card it comes with just to test out.

5. Sherman901

Sherman901 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's a good idea. I'm just getting so impatient waiting for this thing and I want to make sure I have everything to make it an awesome experience from the get go.

6. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

7. aliveon2legs

aliveon2legs Well-Known Member

Didn't I read somewhere that with a rooted Android phone you could use you SD card for cache? If that's the case, I would think speed would matter.

8. jkmbaum

jkmbaum Active Member

16gb 45bucks shipped on ebay and thats before bing cashback.

9. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

i would have bought one on ebay but I was warned there were alot of fakes on ebay

10. jkmbaum

jkmbaum Active Member

11. Topper_Harlee

Topper_Harlee Active Member

Confusion here. It's the card a "microSD" or "micro SDHC"? Are these two even compatible?:confused: