Store a point on Google Maps?General

Last Updated:

1. Fulltime Traveler

Fulltime Traveler Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to store a point on Google Maps on the Eris?

I would like to hike off in the boonies and use it to guide me back to where we are parked.

Advertisement
  2. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Dave,

I've used the (Google) My Tracks apps for recording where I've been. Super simple to add waypoints as you are going along the route. When you come back to someplace that has a network connection, you can push it to a Google Map in your account, or just save it as a .kmz file for Google Earth (In case you want a record of your hike, for instance)

My impression is that it will continue to draw a "path" of where you've been, even if there is no "map" data available because you can't get a 3G/WiFi connection - so you can't see "where you are", relative to a map, but you can certainly estimate relative hiking distance, and whether you need to go N/E/S/W to get back to where you started. Obviously, if you are connected to a network, you can see a map or satellite view.

If you are walking, you might want to change the sampling time settings to sample the GPS receiver infrequently, and put the unit into Airplane mode to save juice.

I would experiment it to see if that satisfies your needs - I just put mine into airplane mode, and fired it up with some previously recorded tracks. I can zoom and pan around and click on waypoints to observe their name and any notes i added.

It's not an offline map system - but if you are comfortable with that, it's a free solution.

Happy trails!

eu1

3. Fulltime Traveler

That's exactly what I wanted.

Thanks.

4. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

Have you tried Google maps "mymaps" on the PC along with "mymapseditor" app ont the phone. You can also see your "mymaps" in the layers area of google maps on the phone.

5. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I've not used it but, but I thought that's what the Footprints app is for. You might want to read up on that to see if it does what you need. It's possible I'm totally confused... :)

6. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Okay...so I tried to access my starred items only to find out that they are only used in Google Maps for Windows Mobile and Symbian phones...which I find to be odd since this is a GOOGLE OS. Anyway, so are you describing a more advanced method for marking the map on my PC and finding it when I get in my car?

7. Fulltime Traveler

No, that doesn't do it for me. According to the manual, Footprints simply allows you to store a picture and view the location in Google Maps:

"HTC Footprints™ provides an easy way to record favorite places and
    revisit those places. A footprint consists of a photo you take of a
    location such as a restaurant, a sightseeing destination, etc., stored
    together with a precise GPS position and other information about that
    location such as the street address and phone number.
    The next time you want to visit the same place, simply access the
    footprint. You can then dial the phone number or view the location in
    Google Maps."

I wanted a way to find my way back to the RV after wandering around in the boonies. My Tracks does exactly that.

8. kabbie_mcfeely

Go to your PC, log on to Google, goto googlemaps. There you will see a link "mymaps", click that and then create new map. Once your done with the map you can go back to it any time and edit it on the PC. Or, you can download "mymaps editor" from the market and do the same thing with it.

If you have Android 1.6 and higher you can download the newest version of "googlemaps" and there is a "layer" where you can view your "mymaps" maps.

I use these all the time and are really easy to use.

9. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I have the Eris with 1.5 so no-go for me.

10. kabbie_mcfeely

You can still use "mymaps editor" from the market and google maps on the pc.