Store/Download Music on SC CardSupport

1. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

I installed an SD card, but cannot seem to get either Amazon's Cloud Player or Google's Play Music to download music to the card. I have gone to My Files and changed the directory to the SD card (media/music).

What am I missing? I did not have this issue with my old D2G.

Advertisement
    :
  2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

Try changing the download directory location to extSD in a folder called media/music you created yourself ahead of time. That's the card you put into your device. SD card refers to your devices internal memory for some stange reason. All the name choices Google had for internal user memory and it's called SD card? Go figure. :dontknow:
  3. Goodspike

I'm not following. The directory I created on the card is called media/music. I read that somewhere else. But it didn't seem to work. Does it need to be media/music/extSD?
  4. dontpanicbobby

I recently purchased some CDs from Amazon. Let me install Amazon Cloud Player and give it a try I'll get back to you after that. SD card = Internal Memory on device without a SD card installed.
  5. dontpanicbobby

Okay that was a pain. It look like the Amazon MP3 player only has the option to download to the SD card even though the music directory has been changed to a folder on the extSD card. I'll try an OTR show MP3 file from the Internet Archive and see how that download behaves.
    Goodspike likes this.
  6. dontpanicbobby

I used Boat Browser to download that MP3 file and set the Download Directory to Amazon/extSD and it went there without a hitch. This download issue with newer Android Devices has been discussed a lot over in the Amazon.Com Customer Discussion forums. Short of rooting your device and using a workaround found over at xda-developers or using an on device file manager to move the folders yourself the Amazon MP3 player just doesn't work the way it used to. Now you see why I actually purchase CDs and rip them myself.
    Goodspike likes this.
  7. Goodspike

Thank you for your efforts and proving I'm not crazy, or at least the former. I'm wondering if part of this is copy protection related. I can't imagine that anyone is that worried about making numerous copies from the cloud, because there are better options for that if that's what you're into. But for putting copies on a new phone the cloud is the easiest, even for ripped CDs, because you can upload those to the cloud first.
  8. Goodspike

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I copied the files via a USB cable, which took a couple two to three hours. After that a lot of songs wouldn't play, even if I tried to play them on my computer, but in their original location on the computer, they would play. The files appeared to be the proper size and nothing else appeared wrong, but now going back many of those files, including ones I never tried to play. have totally disappeared off the SC card. And the free space reported on the SD card has increased by about 10-15 GB.

This is the card: Amazon.com : SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter SDSDQUA-064G-U46A : Electronics
  9. Canesfan

Canesfan Well-Known Member

10. Goodspike

I hope that's it. The card is going back to Amazon.
  11. Goodspike

Just to finish off the thread, it apparently was the card. I exchanged it with a Samsung brand card, copied the files directly from my PC to the card, and everything so far has been fine.

Still a PITA that it no longer will directly load music from the cloud to MicroSD, as it did with my Moto D2G, but I don't buy that much new music, so not a huge problem for me.