• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Store SMS on SD card?

D

Deleted User

So, I've got this beautiful rooted G1. I recently followed tutorials to store my browser and market caches on my SD card. I was wondering if the same is possible for SMS?

Before I rooted my G1, I was always struggling to keep 10MB (at least) of my internal memory free. After I rooted it and reinstalled all my apps, I had 30MB left. WHAT? I wasn't sure why this was, but as I started text messaging, I got the feeling that SMS storage could be a culprit, as my internal memory kept shrinking.

I don't know how the file system on Android is, but I can only imagine that a similar process would work for storing SMS on the SD card (similar to storing your caches there). Right? :-/

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gerard

P.S: I'm posting this here because I figured developers might know how to do this or if it's possible and the "Tips and Tricks" forum's sticky says no questions. Mods, feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong forum.

It actually wouldn't be too hard as, depending on how exactly the database(s) are stored (i.e. is it one big SQLite file or a collection of smaller ones? If the latter, then how is the collection structured), you could just create a small app to parse the said files and then create a text file (or w/e file type you wish them to be stored as) on the sd card.

If you do some quick research, you should be able to find the answers to the questions initially layed out at the beginning of my post rather easily. I would think, at least.

Upvote 0
There is an app out called SMS Backup and Restore - it allows you to store backups of your SMS on your SDCard (in XML format).

Not quite the same as what the OP was looking for, but I believe that you can store multiple files, and when restoring them it gives you the option to look for duplicates - therefore you could store a single billing cycle's SMS per file, and then only load the ones that you want as needed.

In fact, not only does it allow for duplicate checking, it also allows for deleting all of your current SMS (which, of course, you'll only do after you make a backup, right?) - so that should go a long way to resolving the OPs problems with limited memory due to increasing SMS counts.

I'll fire mine up right now and see if it allows for multiple file import (I have a week old file, an have probably another 30 since then) and verify that all of them are back in place - if this works then I might make this a permanent solution for myself as well...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones