stories like this is what creates opinions on Americans...

1. sntaylor

sntaylor Well-Known Member Contributor

Ok tried to get title as catchy as possible, but seriously, these kinds of story are why many of us in the rest of the world find Americans, particularly republicans, a little in the crazy side.

Now I know, not all Americans are that crazy/weird etc but come on, it really is these kind of stories!

I just hope no one goes crazy and starts throwing tampons at the general public!

maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/07/12/19441556-only-a-good-guy-with-a-tampon-can-stop-a-bad-guy-with-a-tampon?lite

Advertisement
  2. sntaylor

sntaylor Well-Known Member Contributor

3. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues - Crazy peacock person - Guide

I honestly don't know how I survived in Texas...talk about a fish out of water. I'm so glad that's just a distant, nightmarish memory now that I'm back home in California.

Well, USED tampons, anyway. :eek:
  4. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

You could use some to make underwear bombs.

I think they are all nuts.
  5. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

The republicans (AKA "The Archie Bunker Party") won't be happy until they turn back the clock to the 1950s.
  6. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

I want to go back to the late 60s early 70s. I like flowers. But I'd sure like my technology with me.
  7. TJGoSurf

TJGoSurf Well-Known Member

This shows you never understood All in the Family.
    Dngrsone likes this.
  8. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Since the link and discussion so far seems to have political overtones, I'm moved this to Politics & Current Affairs. Thanks for your understanding. :)
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  9. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

And . . .

Part of the problem is a decidely left sided reportage by American newspspers, bloggers and web sites.

We are still an extraordinary country that offers almost anyone a chance to vastly improve their life, if they are willing to work.

We have far more to offer than some silly story might indicate; we are not what the press largly says we are these days.
  10. OutofDate1980

OutofDate1980 Well-Known Member

Any self-respecting knuckle dragging fascist would consider the 1950's as a progressive era, as women had the right to vote.
  11. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the husbands didn't mind because they told their wives who to vote for, and they knew their place was at home making babies and in the kitchen lol. Haven't seen you on here in awhile, welcome back!
  12. OutofDate1980

Yeah, those disobedient wives were allowed to read and the husbands weren't allowed in the voting booths.

I see no difference between the current crop of right wingers to that of Al-Qaeda, as in fact these right wingers gave Al-Qaeda material support including weapons starting in the 80's.

Have a little time between projects, so just popping in.
  13. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Old white guy, deathly afraid of change in general, of the decline in the dominance of the white male in particular, sounds like the republican party to me. (was a good show, though)
  14. JohnLaird

JohnLaird Well-Known Member

This is the cost of our brand of democracy...we have have to tolerate lunatics and treat them just as well as the sane people. There are a lot of things wrong in America...but when I start thinking about how screwed up things are I look at California and Egypt and feel a little better.
  15. rabidhunter

rabidhunter Well-Known Member Contributor

Truth be told, we need to get it back into our heads that the system of government that we have is a Constitutional Republic with Democratic principels. So with that I have a few thoughts.

1. The government is supposed to be of the people, for the people, and by the people.
    2. We vote for people to represent us, not themselves, not their agenda, us.
    3. Therefore, it is our duty to be informed about those we chose to represent us.
    4. Voting is power. People have risked their lives for the opportunity to vote in other countries. We should not be lax on voting. By right, you were born with power as a citizen. Should you not vote, you abdicate your power to someone else.
    5. The government is so messed up because of we the people. When it comes down to it, we have nobody else to blame but ourselves. Somewhere along the lines, we got to entitled, to lazy, to bitter, to comfortable etc... to care. This needs to to stop, we cannot afford apathy and entitlement.

I close with this:
    John F. Kennedy
    mebrewsta likes this.
  16. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

Much to be said about those times. I lived them and there are times when I think how great it would be if I could go back and have a little fun.
  17. OutofDate1980

Yes, the '50's, when the US had a progressive tax system, I can understand your nostalgia.:D