• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Storing large game files to the Cloud to save Storage Space Help

IHaveAnAndriod

Dec 10, 2013
Hi everyone I hope everyone is enjoying their Monday. I came across a problem with my Nexus 5 I realize I have only 16 gigabytes what does storage space. I want to be able to play games like grand theft auto and Need for Speed Most Wanted it. But only have 16 gigabytes of space. I'm wondering if I can backup my OBB files of the game to a cloud storage system, while keeping the apk on my phone. When I need the files just get them from the cloud and put them in the obb folder then play the game.

I noticed grand theft auto has 1.4 GB of game files. When I had my hard drive I will transfer the files to the hard drive and then when I needed it I would transfer them back to the phone. I was wondering if I could do this with the cloud. That way I can do this when to go without needing my hard drive . Should I upload them to Google Drive or what should I do.

I know not having the files on the phone when not in use saves a lot of storage space. I can get the files from the cloud when I need them at anytime because I have unlimited data. The only problem would be the time it takes to download the files.

I'm thinking about doing this, but I wanted to ask the community what their thoughts were in this matter. Do u think this would be a good fit for me. Or is there a app that I should use to do this. I thought this would be vest since I did it with my hardrive before. I know the transfer rate would be different than it would be on my hardrive seeing as though i am pulling the files from online. Please a leave your opinions and feedback. I would love to hear it!

If you have a otg cable or a mini SD slot adapter you can route the game files to your SD card with this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slf.ListglApp

I have to agree with Incakola on this one... I think using USB OTG (On The Go) would be your best bet and the transfer rate would be much faster and easier to use than a cloud based storage. You can use anything from a micro SD card reader, USB thumb drive and or and hard drive to to upload and download the files at a much faster transfer rate and would be much better and easier... Then having to rely on a cloud based service/storage and dealing with slow transferand paused transfer rates on the lager GB games.

You can use an app like Stick Mount to mount the USB OTG cable - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.stickmount

Then use a USB OTG cable like this to mount to the N5 to transfer files/data back a forth to the device - https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-google&sboxchip=Shopping&biw=412&bih=248&tbm=shop&ei=24U9VKqyF4PmsASvo4LICA&q=nexus+5+usb+otg+cable&oq=nexus+5+usb+otg+cable&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3...14386.17672.0.18882.8.8.0.0.0.2.793.1796.2j4j1j6-1.8.0.msedrc...0...1c.1.55.mobile-gws-serp..8.0.0.lZoMZtcU1DU#spd=18274861519133018096

Simple and easy... Probably easier than using a cloud based storage.... Plus you could still use a cloud based storage to save the files as well... In the event that you didn't have the OTG cable and card reader with you.

Reactions: Incakola
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones