1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

[STORY]How a dead Android is also a life saver

1. StDevious

StDevious Well-Known Member

So the bottom half of the touchscreen on my Eris crapped in random places which means I could use certain parts of touchscreen, others by pressing very hard and others not at all. In addition the trackball on this was messed up which caused the cursor on the screen to keep going to left randomly.

So then I upgraded to Droid X, and put the Eris away in a black dungeon not to come on again.

Recently, I moved in with a couple of friends into an apartment near university. I set up my desktop computer in my room, but the problem is that the Comcast cable modem with Wifi router is in the lobby where there is the only Co-axial output jack. So I couldn't put the PC in the lobby.

So I think of getting a PCI Wifi adapter for my PC, but alas the best buy near me doesn't have them in store and this is Friday. That means one won't reach me before mid next week. So how to get internet on my PC ?

ahaaaa.... ERIS ! :)

Eris + PDANet = Wifi Adapter => WIN!

After taking care of the issues such as not being able to type in the password to the Wifi network, which took some cleverness on my part (I made a file on SD card with the name of the wifi password, then copy the name from rename of Astro and paste into the password field to connect to Wifi) I had working internet on my PC. Although the speed was limited to around 2 Mbps while a laptop in the same room gets 16 Mbps on speedtest.net, I was able to game online in Bad Company 2 pretty smoothly with no noticeable lag or high pings.

Viva La Android! and Eris or what's left of it

Advertisement
  2. XboxOmac

XboxOmac Well-Known Member

Nice story. :)
  3. conor.in

conor.in Well-Known Member

Always good to hear recycling of old gadgets. Nice work.
  4. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Nice quick thinking there! If you decide to simply use your Eris as a WIFI adapter, you save some $$ ;) lol Though I think the speed will annoy you eventually :p lol
  5. StDevious

StDevious Well-Known Member

ya, but I'll change it sometime.
  6. uzetaab

uzetaab Well-Known Member

Hmm. this story brings the HTC slogan to my mind. It really was a clever solution to your problem.