Str.Tlk. data usage limits on Galaxy Proclaim

1. Jetplane

Jetplane Member

I just got the Straight Talk prepaid set-up.(Unlimited,30 days) with my Galaxy Proclaim. I am new to using Android, and I know the Proclaim is new to Straight Talk.
    The plan says

Advertisement
    :
  2. craZDude

craZDude Well-Known Member

Any data you use through wifi won't affect your data usage from Straight Talk, although it will affect any data cap you have ethrough Virgin Mobile.
  3. Jetplane

Jetplane Member

Thanks craZDude, I also top up with unlimited data on the Mi-Fi hotspot although after a certain amount it does slow waaaaay down on kbps. Almost as bad as dial-up.

But I read somewhere that Str. Tk.'s unlimited mobile web is not "really" unlimited. Something like 2Gigs per month or 100 Migs per day and you lose mobile web...?
    I downloaded an app that keeps tabs on my usage. It shows my Wi-Fi usage at about 1.3Mb recieved, and 3.4Mb sent for the average day which is way below my calculated daily allowance based on 1.5 Gb for the month.

But it shows 0 usage across the board for Mobile Web, even though I have been using it. Maybe because of the unlimited status of my account it won't show any usage?
  4. craZDude

The downloaded app should show any usage of mobile data; are you sure you haven't been on wifi the whole time?
  5. Jetplane

Jetplane Member

Yes. I purposely turned off wi=fi. Then checked e-mails,Facebook status etc. for a while, 3G status at the top showed connection, then checked. Zeros across the board.
  6. craZDude

I don't know what to say, thst seems weird.
  7. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

i am very curious as to whether ST throttles.

technically, all plans from all carriers do, in fact, offer unlimited "data". thats the double-talk. there isnt any plan thats gonna stop you from using as much data as you want, they'll just slow you down or charge you.

there isnt any carrier out there offering unrestricted data though.
  8. DrBrewhaha

DrBrewhaha New Member

I came upon this thread while searching for a solution to my inability to track my mobile data usage. I've downloaded several apps and they will each only track wifi and not mobile data. So I guess this post just serves as a second witness to the problem. Hope to find a solution because I, too, am completely confused by what StraightTalk means by "unlimited" data. (That being said I've been very, very, very please with the Proclaim and the service.)
  9. DrBrewhaha

DrBrewhaha New Member

Ok it looks like 3G Watchdog is tracking my 3G data usage on the proclaim. I wonder what the difference is between it and the other apps that haven't been working?
  10. sounreal

sounreal Well-Known Member

Once and for all what is the unlimited data cap when its all said and done?
  11. morganfj

morganfj Member

FoxFi will hotspot.. $7 for app, then free hotspot.
  12. morganfj

morganfj Member

FIRST FoxFi, a $8 app on Google play (Free Apps are also available, Foxfi free will give you 15 minutes at a time of Hotspot.), will hotspot Samsung Proclaim without ANY FEE.
    SECOND: been using Hotspot for 6 Months, I do not use my hotspot to download mass data like movie (though I have download one or two this way).. I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED ANY WARNING, nor have I been cut off.
  13. morganfj

morganfj Member

AGAIN... I do not know who is getting CAPPED...
    FIRST FoxFi, a $8 app on Google play (Free Apps are also available, Foxfi free will give you 15 minutes at a time of Hotspot.), will hotspot Samsung Proclaim without ANY FEE.
    SECOND: been using Hotspot for 6 Months, I do not use my hotspot to download mass data like movie (though I have download one or two this way).. I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED ANY WARNING, nor have I been cut off.
  14. morganfj

morganfj Member

Have never been throttled or cappef. Use FoxFi hotspot.
  15. SLB26

SLB26 Member

I don't think anyone knows what the cap is as I don't think there is a specific amount. I use Wi-Fi most of the time so I've never had an opportunity to found out. But I do know some people have been throttled.
  16. ThatonedudexP

ThatonedudexP Well-Known Member

The last update that was pushed out for the Proclaim unabled the phone to be a wifit hotspot. In other words, FoxFi no longer works.