Straight Talk 4g not working on LG Optimus G

Last Updated:

1. tsorakin

tsorakin New Member

I have an LG Optimus G that i put a Straight Talk sim in and it works well but i cannot get 4g on it to save my life. I recently had a Motorola Atrix HD on Straight Talk in the same area and 4g was running very well so i know its not an issue with the coverage area. Someone please help, i would be very greatful.

Advertisement
  2. bjacks12

bjacks12 Well-Known Member

Is your Straight Talk SIM a T-Mobile or AT&T sim?

A perusal of the two phones on GSMarena shows that the Atrix possesses the 1700 mhz band while the Optimus G does not. If you're on T-Mobile's towers, this could explain why you are not getting 4G(HSPA+). Are you getting regular HSPA or EDGE?

EDIT: Also, if the Optimus is anything like its cousin the Nexus 4...it displays an H instead of 4G when it is on HSPA+ or HSPA, and E for Edge, and a G for GPRS. It never says 2, 3, or 4G.
    Crashdamage likes this.
  3. tsorakin

tsorakin New Member

Its an At&t sim and im currently on the Edge network which sucks...bad.

Side note: I went out of town recently and i was picking up 4g. It did have the 4g symbol at the top as well. No luck in my area but im positive 4g is available, just not being picked up by my phone. I also had this problem with the HTC One X not long ago and when i put my sim in the Atrix HD which was right beside it i got 4g no problem.
  4. bjacks12

bjacks12 Well-Known Member

Might be an APN issue. Some phones can be finnicky with the APN.
  5. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

The Atrix is a Motorola phone and Motorola is known to have the best radios in the business. It could possible be that radios on your One X and this Optimus G aren't as good and thus not picking it up.
  6. tsorakin

tsorakin New Member

Yeah i was thinking that but i tried every variation i came across and none gave me data but the one im using which came from Straight Talks website.
  7. tsorakin

tsorakin New Member

Aww i was hoping it would be an easy fix. Are you sure theres nothing that would fix this issue? This Optimus G is so awesome and id really like to have it running as good as it can.
  8. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

I'm not sure. If you were able to pick up 4g in another location, then it shows that everything is set up correctly software wise. The only other thing that you could possibly do is try different radio baseband versions on your device to see if that helps. However, I'm not sure what the bootloader state on your device is and if it's locked, you might be out of luck.