• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Straight Talk 4g not working on LG Optimus G

tsorakin

Lurker
Aug 10, 2013
I have an LG Optimus G that i put a Straight Talk sim in and it works well but i cannot get 4g on it to save my life. I recently had a Motorola Atrix HD on Straight Talk in the same area and 4g was running very well so i know its not an issue with the coverage area. Someone please help, i would be very greatful.

Is your Straight Talk SIM a T-Mobile or AT&T sim?

A perusal of the two phones on GSMarena shows that the Atrix possesses the 1700 mhz band while the Optimus G does not. If you're on T-Mobile's towers, this could explain why you are not getting 4G(HSPA+). Are you getting regular HSPA or EDGE?

EDIT: Also, if the Optimus is anything like its cousin the Nexus 4...it displays an H instead of 4G when it is on HSPA+ or HSPA, and E for Edge, and a G for GPRS. It never says 2, 3, or 4G.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Its an At&t sim and im currently on the Edge network which sucks...bad.

Side note: I went out of town recently and i was picking up 4g. It did have the 4g symbol at the top as well. No luck in my area but im positive 4g is available, just not being picked up by my phone. I also had this problem with the HTC One X not long ago and when i put my sim in the Atrix HD which was right beside it i got 4g no problem.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure. If you were able to pick up 4g in another location, then it shows that everything is set up correctly software wise. The only other thing that you could possibly do is try different radio baseband versions on your device to see if that helps. However, I'm not sure what the bootloader state on your device is and if it's locked, you might be out of luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones