• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Straight talk and bad esn gs4

For some reason I dont fully understand this!! The sims card is where the validation is done!! So why does the phones IMEI matter?? JW

In order institute a deterrent on phone theft, carriers will run the IMEI of the device against the national blacklist data base once it connects to their network. If an IMEI appears on that list, then it was reported stolen and thus they kill service to it.

Reactions: jrccomputer
Upvote 0
In order institute a deterrent on phone theft, carriers will run the IMEI of the device against the national blacklist data base once it connects to their network. If an IMEI appears on that list, then it was reported stolen and thus they kill service to it.

Thank you!! Ok, I see!! Not so much a matter of activation as much as, a cancellation of service thus after activation!!

Upvote 0
Thank you!! Ok, I see!! Not so much a matter of activation as much as, a cancellation of service thus after activation!!

It can occur at either location. Some carriers will ask for the IMEI before activating a sim and if it turns up blacklisted then they stop the process. Other times they read it after it's activated and then hit the kill switch.

Reactions: jrccomputer
Upvote 0
No problem, it really sucks buying a phone that was reported stolen without knowing ahead of time that it was or being the victim of phone insurance fraud. I hope that didn't happen to you with this S4 you're asking about. :(

I bought it online!! And never knew!!

But I know how to fix it!! Its just more money that I will have to spend

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones