1. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior Guide

PCMag- Straight Talk Responds to 'Unlimited' Complaints

Howard Forums- ST Officially Responds to "Unlimited" Complaints

Advertisement
    rudyy likes this.
  2. Thats

Thats That guy is This VIP Member

Thanks for the links and the article. Now I'm wondering if their old ToS is outdated, or they just are trying to cover themselves up with good PR. I guess we may know if they update the ToS.
  3. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Well-Known Member

I for one haven't had a single issue with ST. But I also don't use my phone to watch TV or listen to the radio. I use about 3gb a month and for $45 a month it's perfect for me. I don't see how some people are using 50-70Gb's a month. That blows my mind. Do these people not have jobs? lol
    Thats and Rxpert83 like this.
  4. androidnewbie5

androidnewbie5 Active Member

To use the Iphone with ST does the phone need to be rooted?

Can you do it with a rooted Iphone?

Thanks
  5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

You can't root an iPhone. You can jailbreak it, but I'm not sure what that would accomplish as that just allows you to use a different market for apps.
  6. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

If I recall correctly, I believe ST is getting their own iPhone very soon, but I'm not sure which network it will operate on.
  7. Gman9831

They already got it
    Runs on Verizon, No 4G
    jhawkkw likes this.
  8. Bren S.

Bren S. Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me I have ST,and I don't abuse my service. Yes I said abuse because quite frankly that IS what it is when you decide to be a cheapskate and use your pre-paid service to run your computers etc instead of ponying up for a home internet service plan like responsible adults do.
    Some won't like that I said that ,but I don't care. Your ST plan is not for home internet on your laptops,desktops etc. It just isn't.
    Thats and trekleech like this.
  9. jhawkkw

I thought I remember reading that ST limits daily data to roughly 100mb, then there's an unknown ceiling limit per month that depends on which carrier it runs on. This could be old info that I have; but if it's still true, it's a shame. It doesn't take much streaming to hit 100mb.
  10. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

The same question crosses my mind whenever I see someone claiming they use tens of gigabytes per month, and that it's "normal" to do so. The must be independently wealthy, have very good paying part time jobs, or still live with their parents and have no expenses. I can't see how anyone with a full time job AND a life would have enough time to use that much data.
    Fuzzy13 likes this.
  11. jhawkkw

I think the highest amount of data consumption I've seen that was legit and not through tethering was 31ish gb. Granted this was someone who does a lot of cross country traveling/uses their phone for work.

Essentially there's 3 things that cause high data consumption (video streaming, tethering, remote desktop) and two things that cause medium data consumption (Gps, audio streaming).

I've seen how much data I tend to use on my tab which is about 70 gb a month (all wifi), so I can see how it would be possible for someone to use that much of they didn't have or choose to use wifi.

A lot of people buy into carrier's propaganda that data hogs cause slow data speeds, but the reality is that's about 95% fiction. The true culprit is tower volume; the more people using the tower, the slower it will be. If someone uses 100gb of data in a month, but exclusively between 11pm and 5am when towers are not in high use, you'll probably never notice them. You can test this theory out on your home wifi network if you can get enough devices hooked up. Run a speed test with one device hooked up, then run a test on 70 devices at the same time on the same router. You'll notice a big difference.
    Fuzzy13 and Thats like this.
  12. bradg24

bradg24 New Member

Not really if you use facetime, netflixs, hulu plus and Pandora a lot like me.. I go through almost 15gig a normal month. Video streaming eats alot of mb at a time like the person stated before. I run a machine at work and I just sit there so to keep awake I stream a lot over night. I thinking of picking this up just for that reason. Since iPhone has little better apps over android in a few areas like video streaming.
  13. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I'm very interested in what you mean by apple has better video streaming apps.

Better how? Examples?

But to use 100+gb a month that the top % on many unlimited networks use, they're always on some tower eating data. Get a few "abusers" on the same tower and it brings everyone else down just like you mentioned.
    Fuzzy13 likes this.
  14. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

This is true. Bandwidth is limited. If you're the only one using it, it's all yours; the more people there are sharing it, the less everyone gets. Blaming so-called "data hogs" for network congestion is like seeing a long line at the all-you-can-eat buffet and blaming the fat guy in line. Sure he's making the line longer, but so are you; and because you each get the same size plate, if he wants more food than you he has to get in line more times than you. The problem is that because he's in line frequently, he's more likely than anyone else to be in line at the same time you are. If he's in line when you're not, you don't really care.

TCP/IP is designed to handle congestion by spreading the slow down among all users. Here's an article and video that talk about it:

Video: Why Data Caps Suck – Droid Life
  15. jhawkkw

16. Bren S.

Bren S. Well-Known Member

I just wish people would learn the difference between cellphone data for their PHONE and home internet for their computers.
    An "unlimited" cellphone plan is not a replacement for home internet. Period.
  17. lightsleeper23

lightsleeper23 Well-Known Member

No, mobile data is not a substitute for home internet, and shouldn't be used as such. But I still would like to be able to tether my 2 to 5 GB, or however much I've purchased, to a laptop or tablet while I'm NOT at home. Some carriers offer a tethering add on for $15 a month or so, which isn't you purchasing extra data, just paying for the privilege of using some of the data you've already bought on a tablet or laptop.
  18. jhawkkw

I'm waiting until broadband providers all have data caps, then we'll see how many people cry foul instead of defend the providers. Comcast already has them, and Time Warner has come close twice to being the second.
  19. Gman9831

AT&T U-Verse has 250GB, same as Comcast
    jhawkkw likes this.
  20. jhawkkw

Did not know that. Thanks for that info.
  21. Gman9831

Isnt 1 of LTE's main goal future integration with home broadband services? For now I just dont think they have the spectrum to accommodate that
  22. Joshb101

Joshb101 Well-Known Member

Comcast used to have a cap of 250 GB, but it is currently suspended while they're doing data collection to see what an appropriate cap would be. Supposedly they are talking about doing tiers depending on what speed level you go with, with a range from 300 GB to 1 TB.

I do know that AT&T DSL, before they started all the U-Verse crap, had a limit of 150 GB.
  23. Gman9831

Oh yeah Comcast suspended it in the middle of last summer I remember I did a lot of Netflix watching and went up to 253GB but never got the email. Comcast was very strict with theirs but U-Verse just charges you more
  24. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Well-Known Member

Agreed. It's funny how certain people will complain how awful ST is and this and that but yet they are trying to run their whole damn house off of $45 a month cell phone service. Smdh. They deserved to be kicked off. I can understand maybe wanting to tether a tablet but not to the extent of replacing your TV with your tablet and trying to download 50 gigs worth of ish. I'm glad ST keeps a watch on that type of stuff as it makes the service better for the ones that actually use it what it's intended for. I mean your already getting a great deal why try and mooch the system even more? That's what Obama voters do............damn I didn't mean to go there. :rolleyes:
    Bren S. and Rxpert83 like this.
  25. DarkJedi

DarkJedi Well-Known Member

Cox Cable already caps you based on the speed package you buy. Limits are:
    Starter: 30 GB @ 1 Mbps | $30 / mo
    Essential: 50 GB @ 3 Mbps | $45 / mo
    Preferred: 200 GB @ 18 Mbps | $56 / mo
    Premier: 250 GB @ 36 Mbps | $68 / mo
    Ultimate: 400 GB @ max | $100 / mo