• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Straight Talk+AT&T

Dmowry

Jan 3, 2012
Considering getting the Nexus 4 and straight talks at&t sim card. Very concerned with the data usage caps and the possibility of getting completely shut off after going over. Does anyone have any real world usage with straight talk and an at&t sim and if so what are your thoughts. Really want the Nexus 4 but scared of the carrier uncertainty.

I use my data manager to keep track but it's very different than the on board stats. I've only been with st a month and I've got 10 days left and I've used 1.4 gigs. I just bought the t mobile sim and am gonna try it out.

I've heard from multiple people that the t mobile sim is better to get as the cap is much higher. A lot of people reporting using 3 to 5 gigs a month for months without a hiccup where as the att sim is more strict.

Doesn't hurt to try that's what I did. I dropped metro, bought the nexus and went to st to try it for myself and see first hand. If I don't like it I'll try simple. Don't like it I'll try t mobile. That's the joy of a gsm phone.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Dmowry
Upvote 0
Been using ST and AT&T with my S3 for months now. Have not had any issues whatsoever. I use between 1 and 2 gigs a month (usually more to the 1 gig)
You should make sure AT&T is strong in the area where you live and travel. Also realize that it is $45.00. Does one really expect them to give you "truly" unlimited internet for that? If you use your phone primarily as a phone and use wifi and your PC i have no doubt you will be fine.
If all you do is sit around all day and stream videos and music then you should look elsewhere. Maybe not use your "phone" as your only media player. Just my opinions.

Reactions: Dmowry
Upvote 0
Been using ST and AT&T with my S3 for months now. Have not had any issues whatsoever. I use between 1 and 2 gigs a month (usually more to the 1 gig)
You should make sure AT&T is strong in the area where you live and travel. Also realize that it is $45.00. Does one really expect them to give you "truly" unlimited internet for that? If you use your phone primarily as a phone and use wifi and your PC i have no doubt you will be fine.
If all you do is sit around all day and stream videos and music then you should look elsewhere. Maybe not use your "phone" as your only media player. Just my opinions.

Agree. I don't see how people watch movies and stream videos to no avail. It's a phone. Sure it's nice to have but damn.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones