1. Good things coming in just a couple hours, stay tuned!
    Dismiss Notice

Straight Talk Nexus 5 UsageGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Gatman

Gatman Well-Known Member

See my post above. I activated my N5 on ST and everything is working. I have LTE.

Advertisement
    ArmageddonX likes this.
  2. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Well-Known Member

Thank you! Are you on AT&T towers?
  3. Gatman

Gatman Well-Known Member

Yep. I tried to find an AT&T SIM at my local Walmart(s), but struck out all over town when I checked online. I went ahead and ordered the AT&T Micro SIM from their website and sprung for overnight delivery so that it arrived yesterday (same as the N5). I had a bit of a hiccup when I tried to activate online (see post above), but it got resolved pretty quickly. Only took about 30 minutes to port my number from Verizon.

~Gary
  4. bjacks12

bjacks12 Well-Known Member

ST T-Mo doesn't have LTE yet.
  5. thkie

thkie New Member

I've tried to set up my AT&T ST sim using these settings and its not working for me... help??
  6. Lona808

Lona808 Well-Known Member

Can you post a link to that specific sim card/plan? I was looking everywhere on the T-mo website for the $30/mo 100minutes, unlimited text, & 5g of 4g but it kept only showing me the $50, $60, and $70/mo options that come with more minutes and less data. And also, would you be getting 4G with the T-mo prepaid sim? I would love to pay $30/mo for what I actually use, instead of $45 even though ST is unlimited.

Please & thank you!!!
  7. Gatman

Gatman Well-Known Member

Did you port a number, and is the port completed? Can you make and receive any calls? Do you have any data at all?
  8. techrider62

techrider62 Well-Known Member

Working here just fine.Here are my settings

FIELD SETTINGS
    NAME straight talk
    APN tfdata
    MMSC http://mms-tf.net
    MMS PROXY 66.209.11.33
    MMS PORT 80
    Auth type PAP
    APN Type default,supl,mms
  9. RJM8

RJM8 New Member

Thanks, Techrider 62. Your settings worked for me. I'm using a Nexus 5 (came today!) with Straight Talk, and your pointers got me going just fine, with data.
  10. jamiecta

jamiecta Member

ok, first time using ST and first time having to manually mess with APN settings. N5 and ATT ST sim.

These are my full settings currently (I have tried a few now, including those listed in this thread)

Name: STRAIGHT_TALK
    APN: tfdata
    Proxy: not set
    Port: not set
    Username: not set
    Password: not set
    Server: not set
    MMSC:
    MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication Type: PAP
    APN Type: default,supl,mms
    APN Protocol: IPv4
    APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4
    APN enabled
    Bearer: unspecified
    MVNO type: none
    MVNO value: not set

Whenever I set these, I delete the old APN settings and power cycle and still no data (calls and text work). I appreciate any help :)
  11. jamiecta

jamiecta Member

Sorry, the MMSC above is http://mms-tf.net

It would not show up since this is my first post on the forum.
  12. Gatman

Gatman Well-Known Member

I just activated with ST on the N5 and I'm fully working. I compared my settings to yours and here is what I have different:

Authentication type: Not set (you have PAP)
    APN Type: Not set (you have default,supl,mms

Those are the only differences I saw between what I have and what you have above. Let us know if this helps. I'd power cycle the phone after you make any changes, just to be safe.

~Gary
  13. jamiecta

jamiecta Member

Thanks. I removed the auth type and APN type (I didn't have them originally but was tinkering and added those). It still wasn't working. However, I got through to ST live chat and they fixed something on their end and I'm in business now! Thanks anyway for the help. Came from a DX2 and 3G to N5 on LTE. Wow!
  14. Gatman

Gatman Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you got it working. FYI - be careful running speedtests on LTE. I think I ran 3 tests and then happened to check my data usage. In two days I've used 198MB of data, and the speedtest app accounts for 150MB of that data. DOH!

So be careful - the last thing you want to do is use up all your data for the month drooling over those fast LTE speedtest results!

~Gary
  15. jamiecta

jamiecta Member

yikes. good tip haha
  16. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

It's only on their prepaid site to which they removed links to from their website. If you google T-Mobile prepaid plans, it should last it somewhere in the middle of the page.
  17. Lona808

Lona808 Well-Known Member

Okay ty, I found it. So I iust order a SIM and then select the plan when I recieve and activate it?
  18. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Yep, order a prepaid micro sim, and during the activation process you simply select it.
  19. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

So can anyone confirm that straight talk with AT&T sim is actually the exact same service as going with AT&T? I am thinking of switching off of Verizon and I know AT&T service is good.
  20. techrider62

techrider62 Well-Known Member

I'm getting speed like

21.40 down 12.04 up

21.93 down 5.21 up

12.53 down 3.40 up

11.15 down 7.94 up

Depending on where i'm at
  21. joeblackis

joeblackis Well-Known Member

Just did 2 tests on on N5 and Straight Talk, it shows the LTE letters and 3 Bars.

18 down 4 up
    14 down 4 up

Inside my house. Haven't tested outside yet.
  22. thisiskeg

thisiskeg New Member

but I just want to post my APN settings and it won't let me post links until my second post, so it seemed like the lesser of two evils, the alternative being someone else having to call straight talk and wrestle this out of them
  23. thisiskeg

thisiskeg New Member

My N5 is working on LTE in Salt Lake City right now. My APN settings are as follows:

Name: Straight Talk
    APN: tfdata
    Port: 80
    MMSC: http://mms-cf.net
    MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS Port: 80

Getting those out of the ST phone support was like pulling teeth - I practically had to explain the concept of APN settings
  24. kflanegan

kflanegan Member

Straight Talk $45 $135 $270 Unlimited Top Up Refill 1 3 6 Month 90 180 Days Card | eBay

straight talk 6 month | eBay

Here is the best I could find right now. I just check them every few months and when the price goes down renew early. Whenever you add a renewal the extra months are added onto your existing plan. You will get a text confirming and then you can verify on straight talks website under the my account area. I would just purchase from the trusted sellers on eBay with 90% and up feedback and been members for at least a few years. Best part is no taxes or fees added on top so that really sweetens the deal for me. ;-)
  25. kflanegan

kflanegan Member

I've not experienced bad or spotty data connection. I live about half hour south of Birmingham, AL and get solid LTE at home and work. I never use much more than 1 or 2GB's a month so haven't ever been throttled but I imagine that would be painful if you plan on trying to tether or just stream YouTube out Hulu a lot. Good luck!