Straight Talk vs Page Plus

1. MrsJennyK

MrsJennyK Well-Known Member

Based on information from answers to my previous post as well as from the constant, mind-numbing research I'm doing, I think I'm going to move from my way-too-expensive Verizon plan to either Page Plus or Straight talk.

I am not worried about unlimited anything. I use 150-200 talk minutes, fewer than 300 texts, and an average of 512mb of data per month.

I want to make sure that I am using Verizon's towers, because I have excellent coverage here and the others are spotty.

So.

Despite all of the reading I've done (and maybe because of it) I am really confused about what phones I can use with these services (and which phones to make sure I'm on Verizon towers).

I am going to buy a new/used/refurbished/whatever phone. I want something better than gingerbread. I don't stream data. Most of what I do is take pictures of my kids, send MMS & texts, check FB & email, read forums, check out CNN, and play logic games (sudoku, picross, etc). I'm on wifi at least 80-90% of the time.

I want the biggest screen I can get because, as much as I hate to admit it, my eyes are getting middle-aged.

I'd like to spend $200 or less on the phone. I hope that's reasonable.

With that in mind, how do I figure out the right combination of phone/carrier? Seriously guys, my brain is fried. :stupido3:

Jenny

Advertisement
    :
  2. MrsJennyK

Well.

I just saw a commercial on TV for the Walmart plan where they said, "$40! $40! $40! on the T-Mobile network!"

What? So I am wrong about them using Verizon's towers? This is too much for me. This is why I've been so paralyzed by indecision for 6 months that I keep paying $145 a month!!!
  3. jrccomputer

jrccomputer Well-Known Member

Check out net10 and check there list of phones on verizon then go to straight talk and try to find the same phones.

Samsung Galaxy Proclaim, LG Optimus ZIP, Samsung Galaxy S Showcase, Unimax U670C, Huawei Ascend Y and LG L38C use Verizon.

This one should be on verizon and is one of the best straight talk phones: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-LG-L86C-Optimus-Showtime-Prepaid-Smartphone/23573707

No, Walmart Family mobile is not straight talk you are getting that confused. Straight talk uses: Verizon, AT&T, T-mobile, and sprint. Family Mobile uses T-Mobile. PagePlus Is 100% Verizon. Straight talk is hit or miss and you need to do your research to get a verizon phone on straight talk.

If I were you I would go pageplus and buy a nice iphone or other verizon brand phone off ebay and activate it on pageplus.
    MrsJennyK likes this.
  4. MrsJennyK

That looks pretty nice and has ICS. It's not Jelly Bean, but it's better than Gingerbread!

Doh! I am relieved that I was wrong... I think.

Sounds like a good idea. What do you think about Nexus? I see one on CL in my area that says it's a new Verizon Nexus that is rooted, but that he can flash back (or something like that)

Verizon Galaxy Nexus MINT With images
  5. jrccomputer

If the nexus is cdma. It will work with page plus. If its gsm or lte it wont. Ask the seller if the nexus is cdma.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2
    MrsJennyK likes this.
  6. vvjustbiz

vvjustbiz New Member

This phone will only work on T-mobile or AT&T. I had the Google Nexus for all of one week before having to mail it back. Although I loved the phone, the T-mobile (and AT&T) coverage in my area is sparse at best. Really wish the Nexus used CDMA so I could have brought it to straight talk...
  7. SweetLorraine

SweetLorraine Member

My info is old but might still be helpful. Metro PCS, if you have it near you, uses Verizon's network. They'd adapt a Verizon-issued phone for $50 bucks, so you could use your same phone if you like it. Of course, if they don't serve your area, then just blow raspberries at this post and move on. :)
  8. jrccomputer

Yeah, that's old metro PCs uses and is owned by T-Mobile now.
  9. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

Page Plus won't support data on a smartphone. That mvno was intended for the kind of folks who cling to a Motorola StarTAC or a CDMA Nokia 5100-series phone in this day and age--they're the only prepaid service which still supports new activations with such old devices.
  10. LucasV

LucasV Member

That's not true.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
    jrccomputer likes this.
  11. jlyon801

jlyon801 Member

I have pageplus with a samsung illusion from verizon. Data works great. Cheap plans. 29.95 for 1200 min 3000 texts and 500 mb.
  12. Jillxz

Jillxz Member

Ask if is cdma Vertizon because Sprint also uses cdma