Straight Talks Galaxy Precedent went swimming in a lake.Tips

1. blondi1026

blondi1026 New Member

I went swimming in a fresh water lake last week with my phone in my back pocket. I took the battery out, shook as much water as I could out of it then soaked it in rice, then damp rid for a week. I bought a new battery and started it up yesterday. The screens are hard to move and the audio on my music and ringtones don't work. Also my camera doesn't work. Is there anything else I can do to fix this.

Advertisement
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! VIP Member

If it's been drying for that long and it's still not functioning correctly, it looks as though it's lost unfortunately, sorry.
    blondi1026 likes this.
  3. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Leaving it wet as long as you did, especially with dirty water, started a lot of corrosion going. (Also there are microorganisms in lake water that will eat various things in your phone, like the conformal coating on the printed circuit.) This won't help you, but if you get a phone wet, the first thing you do is remove the battery as you toss it into a bowl of rubbing alcohol, then swish it madly so that the alcohol gets to every spot any water might have touched. You should already have a good relationship with your local cellphone tech. Bring the bowl, alcohol and all, to the tech and let him take it from there. Alcohol is hygroscopic - it absorbs the water. Rice may absorb almost all the water, but the chemicals remain - and do the damage. H2O doesn't damage a phone, the stuff dissolved in it and living in it does.

A few seconds with power running through the phone (if the battery is in the phone, current is running through it) and electrolysis starts setting in. That's really all the time you have.

Your phone, at this point, is just going to get worse and worse, as more things start to fail. Sorry.
    blondi1026 and El Presidente like this.
  4. Prepaidguy9081

Prepaidguy9081 Well-Known Member

Yes rice is a myth, alcohol is the best solution. Take it from an electrition.