strange battery degrade issueAccessories

Last Updated:

1. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Have 1759 siedio in dinc, and no probs. Been getting 30% more than stock. And usually bump cahrge it. Lately it has stunk.....dropping faster than ever. I noticed that recently when i plug it in after charged, it only bump charged for 5 mins opposed to 25 mins previously. I thougjt this was froyo issue.

Switched back to stock battery. It dis bump charge 30 mins and is now working better than my siedio. Is it possible siedio battery degraded?

Advertisement
  2. IndivisibleP

IndivisibleP Well-Known Member

In my experience batteries are still overall a somewhat unstable or varying technology. Thats why most batteries for phones have at least a six month warranty. I think you should look up your warranty and immediately start trying to arrange a replacement.

3. Smabbage

Smabbage Well-Known Member

A battery calibration may be in order. Run that joker all the way down until the phone shuts itself off then charge it. Do this a couple times without bump charging to let the OS recalibrate.

4. AeolianReflex

AeolianReflex Well-Known Member

I have the Siedio 1750 and have noticed this as well. I am wondering if the bump charging is degrading the batteries ability to hold its charge. Would be the same for any battery over time I am guessing because batteries do wear out. I am just wondering if bump charging accelerates the process. I will try the recalibration and see what happens. I remember reading something about resetting the Inc's calibration file but can't seem to find it now on the forum.

5. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

I have read somewhere that Seidio batteries have this problem, they wear down very quickly.

6. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

A large number of things can affect battery performance. As mentioned, the very first thing you should look into is the battery calibration. Drain the phone to the shut off point, and charge up ( best to do it while off. ) Since you are having issues, I would do it at least 1 more time. It's normally best to do 1 cycle every month to prevent the calibration from getting too far off.

Next, is that yes...bump charging almost surely harms the battery. Granted, it should be a fairly small amount, but it's not good to be charging, stop, charge, stop, charge. It's also likely that bump charging allows you to go beyond the intended 100%.

Another factor is/was the charge rate. With 2.1 our phones were charging significantly faster than they should have. ( Don't believe me? Grab your USB cable and read it. It clearly states 4-5 hours to charge. ) As you can imagine, charging the battery up 4 times faster than intended is not a good idea.

Charging habits. A lot of peoples charging habits are extremely detrimental to battery life. Leaving it on a charger all the time, using car chargers ( those car ports are for lighting cigarettes, they are not properly protected/filtered/etc. and can cause problems. Plus the connection is not very solid. Car chargers should be used as a last resort, not daily charge. ), letting the battery get and stay hot. Each of these things eats a tiny bit of life from your battery. Add them up, along with the previously mentioned and you can see battery longevity issues becoming a clear issue.

Also, Seidio 1750 mah batteries have been reported to be 1500 mah. That alone should bring their quality into question. I would not be too surprised to hear of them degrading faster than the stock batteries.

Oh, ( and heres one I'm very guilty of )...try not to use your phone while it's charging too much. If you get a call...unplug the phone before you answer. Battery about to die while you're on the phone? Consider hanging up or using another phone. Try not to run Pandora and/or tether while plugged in.( heres where I'm guilty...my phone has been my computers internet for several months. However, I do know how to extend my batteries life to help offset the harm I am doing here. )

All of these will generally only have a very tiny impact. Don't lose any sleep if you have some of these habits/issues. Consider if you can adjust things with minimal impact, but don't worry if you need to have your phone tethered to your computer for internet and streaming Pandora 16 hours a day.

The key is to not let these issues stack up. Some of them can even have a compounding effect ( IE: Battery getting hot, plus being tethered can be worse than the 2 separately. Keep it in a cool place, and check it now and then. If it's hot, take a quick break! )

Cheers!

WormDoes, Beatlesfan and dragonsamus like this.
  7. gijoe411

gijoe411 Well-Known Member

I have just recently started having this problem too with my sedio 1750. It used to last a day and a half with heavy usage, but now I am forced to plug it in at the end of the day. Weird that we would be having the same problem, with the same battery, at the same time... I thought the drain was happening because I just started using Trillian, but I guess not now. I'm recalibrating the Battery Left widget now. I'll see how much battery life it says I have.

8. androidxen

androidxen Well-Known Member

Seidio is notorious for degrading batteries... stick with OEM.

9. Minimike

Minimike Well-Known Member

And I thought Angry Birds was eating my 3500Mah battery. Oh well.

10. gijoe411

gijoe411 Well-Known Member

Angry Birds uses alot of juice, I've noticed that.

Now unplugged for 22 hours with 27% left.

11. Jeffruby

How much up time are you guys getting with siedio 1750?

12. Jeffruby

I've been using phone continuously this am, getting about 3hours and 30 minutes of up time. Is something amiss?