Strange behavior with off brand charger

Last Updated:

1. bae125

bae125 Member This Topic's Starter

K, so I plug in the phone on the first night and the charger I have is some off brand that I used with my Blackberry Tour stand. I have Dockrunner (awsome app) and while laying there I notice the slideshow has started. Huh, I start messing with the phone, reset it a couple of times and finally I realize that randomly icons/buttons are being activated while the phone is plugged in, just as if I actually touched the screen, I can see the icons 'light up'. One time it ends up in contacts, another it takes itself off into settings and so on. Using the charger that came with the phone, not once has this occurred.

Anyone else have something like this happen? I thought the whole idea of the mini usb was for compatibility between other chargers...

Advertisement
  2. gcroberson

gcroberson Well-Known Member

The same exact thing happened to me but i was using verizons car charger with a wall adapter.

3. ohvzwguy

ohvzwguy Well-Known Member

I actually noticed this day one with a charger from the dollar store:confused: cant understand why.

It was kinda neat, if you went to a web page you could scroll around without even touching the screen... just hovering your finger over it worked. Cool magic trick though. DOID DOES :D

4. AaronT

AaronT Active Member

i noticed something like that too when i had it plugged in with a usb charger i got from amazon, but as soon as i plugged it into a different charger it worked fine. i since trashed that charger thinking it was bad, maybe it wasn't????? i just think that the droid is very sensitive to charger voltage.

5. melmigs

melmigs Well-Known Member

I purchased a wall charger/car charger/USB cable from Amazon (for very cheap) and had no problems with the car charger and the USB cable, but yesterday I used the wall charger for the first time and my phone was pretty much unusable while charging. I would touch a button on the screen and a whole different button would be activated, kind of weird...

6. cardd7669

cardd7669 New Member

I had a similar experience with a 3rd party USB to Micro/Mini USB cable. When I used it with my PC, I couldn't get the option to "mount" my Droid. Switched back to the original cable, worked just fine!

7. AaronT

AaronT Active Member

that is exactly what i saw.

8. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

The Droid's charger is rated at 5.1V 850mA. I used a 5.1V 700mA charger with the phone and it worked fine, though the charger did get a little hot. Apparently the voltage is very important.

9. malklavious

malklavious Well-Known Member

Saw the same thing (random button activity) with the wall charger from (probably) the same combo-pack. I will try the car charger and see what happens

10. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

lol probably too many amps, well mili-amps in this case since its such a small device. Probably too much electromagnetic static going through the phone that the phone picks that static up as touches on the screen and starts doing shit lol

11. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that because it's a capacitive touchscreen (which responds to electric current), any sort of electric current that the device doesn't anticipate has a chance of screwing with the screen and making it think you're touching it. Always try to use a 5.1V charger (which is what the charger that comes with the Droid is rated at), and just to be safe because you don't know what sort of protective circuits the battery is equipped with, try not to use a charger that exceeds a current of 850mA.

12. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

yup exactly like i said it..

If you read the manuals of almost every electronic its FCC regulation that the device must receive any type of reception or feedback whether it be good or bad for the operation of the device.

Apparently too little amps will cause the phone to become unusable and that too many causes too much static which makes the screen bug out.

13. michaelk

michaelk Well-Known Member

i think it's more of a quality thing then hitting some sweet spot. I use a chargepod which is 6v and 3000 mA (the droid pulls around ~1500) and have no issues.