Strange charging behaviorSupport

Last Updated:

1. SimonM123

SimonM123 Active Member This Topic's Starter

This is an odd one. I put the phone on charge just before going to sleep. All that was on was wifi and JuiceDefender. When I woke up, the phone was still plugged in, but was no longer charging, and the battery was at 9 out of 10. This seems to mean that it reached full charging, then discharged another 10% through the night.

I put it back on charge again (by removing the charger from the bottom of the phone for a second and then plugging it back in), and left it charging for about half an hour. By then, when I had to leave the house for work, the battery indicator was showing full - but the LED was still showing amber, not green, so it clearly wasn't done juicing. What's more, the lightening bolt was still over the battery indicator, so it was clearly charging, despite the indicator symbol being full.

On the way to work, the only thing I had on was Spotify. That was it. But just the tube ride (about 25 minutes) and the walk to work (about 10 minutes) were enough to take me back to 9 out of 10 bars. And whilst playing Spotify - again, no other apps open - the device was getting uncomfortably warm. Just from playing music (offline music, not streaming!) and not even at full volume!

Beginning to think I've got a wiring fault or something.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

The dropping between 100% & 90% and back up again is standard behaviour I'm afraid - it's a lottery as to what you'll get.

I've had the weird charging led orange when it should be green too.

3. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

the phone charges to 100% then a safety switch is tripped to prevent overcharging and the phone will begin to use power as normal (services, updates, data etc), once it hits 90% the charger will begin to charge the phone back to 100%. Its perfectly normal im afraid.

the desire will get hot from time to time, its the processor working hard and battery charging/draining, it isnt a problem unless its getting too hot to touch or you have noticed damage, discolouration etc. But it may not be a good idea to use it a lot in its case if you keep it in a phone sock or other case that could trap the heat.

4. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

My experience is that the 10% drop happens much faster than 'normal' standby use.

During standby (overnight whilst not charging) my battery will drop 1-2% per hour, in the 'over-charge' protection state it will drop drastically quicker, around an hour or so will cost the 10%.

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Thats right. If you plot it with system panel of something, its very drastic drop.

6. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

yep, I have found that as well.

7. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

Just one of the wonderful 'quirks' of Android / Desire :D

8. SUroot

It's just the HTC Rom. I run custom and it stays at 100 when it gets there.

9. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

Ahh pants! lol I so wish I could have stuck with a rooted device (too much of a girl to downgrade the bootloader now)

Was nice running the std nexus roms too , I do miss all the choice. Rooting was just smashing.

10. SUroot

You dont have to downgrade anymore. It wasnt the bootloader either, just to 2.1 (although it does downgrade the bootloader too)

Apparently that is still the best way. You just run a 2.1 ruu from your PC which makes it standard 2.1, then it is easier to root.

tef89 likes this.
  11. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

I did not know that, thanks dan :D

12. SUroot

No worries. Come back to the rooting forum. let us fix you ;)

13. SimonM123

SimonM123 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Interesting developlement - in the last 2 charge cylces this has not been happening. It charges all the way and stays there.

The only difference in my behaviour is that I turned off JuiceDefender Lite. Which is kind of ironic...