Strange error with contacts, anyone else seen this?Support

Last Updated:

1. mikenick42

mikenick42 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was trying to make a call today, but every time I pressed contacts a TouchWiz style error message would pop-up and say "Initializing, try again later." The wording may not be exact, but that's pretty close. Then it would dump me back to the home screen.

I ended up rebooting and now it works fine. But when things that should be a basic function of the phone don't work, I get kind of ticked off.

Advertisement
  2. culo77

culo77 Well-Known Member

i have two contacts in my list that when i try and access them in it force closes the contacts app.

i have a contact that if i try an add from the text message app it force closes the message app.

i called tmo, and they wanted to replace my new phone with a refurb behold. i politely declined and tried a hard reset, didnt work.

i created a almost duplicate contact for these three people and it works. so far.

samsung or tmobile need to do something soon about these bugs. i dont need android 2.0 i just need them to fix these bugs 1.5 will be ok with me then.

3. mikenick42

mikenick42 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It wasn't force close, I've been getting a lot of those with OpenHome and GoogleVoice lately. It was definitely in the TouchWiz style of pop-up. It did the same thing if I hit contacts from the dialer. Opening Handcent and hitting contacts from there worked fine though as Handcent seems to use the stock contacts app. I'd be perfectly happy if they gave us stock 1.5. TouchWiz 1.5 is way too laggy and buggy.

4. culo77

culo77 Well-Known Member

i use the stock touch wiz and stock messaging app, and only get the force closes on the issue above.

I noticed when i used panda home or a taskkiller i would get force closes on many things.
    got rid of both of them after i did a hard reset and only get the force closes on the contact and text program now.

i understand this is a computer but its 2010 and this isnt windows ME, there shouldnt be this many bugs.

5. chadmd23

chadmd23 Well-Known Member

Ugh, this is happening to me right now. I rebooted, I deleted all the contact data, and I'm still seeing this.

Any suggestions? (Besides a Factory Restore)

6. deathclutch

deathclutch Well-Known Member

i got that so many times when i first got my phone, solved by rebooting the phone..then i flashed the galaxy rom.. never had the problem again!... now i flashed the BH2 hybrid rom.. and its funny.. as i was about to read this thread i needed to call my buddy... BAM just happened to me lol... once again.. solved by rebooting my phone..

im wondering if its because my sim card is so old? i pulled it out and looked at it.. slightly dented and worn out... maybe i should check into a new one? this one has lasted me the last... i dunno 5 years maybe..

7. chadmd23

A few reboots later, I got it working again. Funniest thing was that I searched all over the place for help, and this is the only post that has any info on this issue. SO I guess it must be part of the TW contact interface.

8. inaz4sun

inaz4sun Well-Known Member

I am having the same issue. Attempting to open the Contacts and I get the Initialising...please try again later. Tried one reboot, no luck. Will try more, but does anyone have any clue what this issue might be and what a workaround or fix could be. I could back up my contacts with a third party app, just in case, so it doesn't seem to be the list. And if I look at my call log I can get to the contact information, just can't access it to edit/append etc...

The only thing I can think of, so those of you who have had the same issue please report as well, I moved some photos around, including ones that were associated with my contacts, so it could be that the contacts can no longer find those images associated with a contact, do you think that could be a factor?

9. chadmd23

I had this issue, so I deleted the data in the Contacts Storage (via the Settings menu), and rebooted. The contacts then re-synced.

Also, T-Mobile has an app in the market called Mobile Backup that allows you to backup your contacts on their website. I also periodically export my gmail contacts.

10. inaz4sun

inaz4sun Well-Known Member

I didn't delete my contacts or anything and just rebooted, and on the 3rd or 4th reboot it is now working again. Strange problem.

11. hnlk

hnlk New Member

I deleted MyFaves.apk and got the error. Once I put the apk back everything is good.

12. DarkMystic

DarkMystic New Member

I have had this error several times. Once, I had this error for 3 days straight and no matter how many reboots .. would not go away.

I have circumvented this error by simply adding the 'contacts with phone numbers' folder to my home screen.