• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Strange force closes after restore?

coopdogg

Lurker
Jun 24, 2010
Hey all,

My apologies if this has been asked before; I spent a fair amount of time searching but didn't find anything similar.

I'm rooted, running the MIUI 12.31 ROM. When I first rooted my phone, I backed up all of my apps and settings with Titanium Backup. When I flashed MIUI, I cleared all of my data for a clean install. When MIUI first boots up, everything works fine. But after restoring everything with Titanium, I begin getting strange force closes. For example, trying to open sound settings causes settings to force close.

The problem doesn't seem to be restricted to MIUI; when I restore my original nandroid backup (at this point everything works again) and flash Cyanogenmod, the same problem occurs. Everything works fine until I restore my apps and settings.

I thought it was a problem with one of the apps I had installed, and that finding which one it was and uninstalling it would solve the problem. But when I first rooted and backed up all my data, everything was working fine. There shouldn't be anything different in terms of the apps that I'm restoring with Titanium. I've done a factory reset AFTER I've restored my apps and the problem has appeared, but this doesn't solve anything. Once my apps are back, the problem doesn't go away.

I want to get my phone running as well as possible, and any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Restoring system data with Titanium frequently causes this sort of problem, especially with the system apps Titanium lists in red. You should either not restore those or not back them up in the first place.

^This

Never restore system data after flashing a new ROM, this defeats the purpose of a full system wipe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones