Strange IP Address For My Desire

Last Updated:

1. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There is probably a simple and logical explanation for this. However, my HTC has a totally random IP address when compared with other devices on my wireless network.

As you are all aware, devices on a wireless network tend to be assigned consecutive numbers, but my Desire seems to buck that trend and has a totally different number entirely!

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

how totally different? is it still in a 192 range?

3. JohnnyBravo1000

Nope! If I recall correctly, it starts with something totally different like 87 or something random!

4. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

IP addresses are usually assigned by a protocol called DHCP, the client - your HTC - cannot affect the allocation that's done by the DHCP server.

What do you mean by "totally random" ? If your network is (as many are) 192.168.0.xx (where xx is a value from 0 - 254) then your DHCP server maybe any value of xx, quite often it's 254 and it'll assign your device any other value for xx (that it hasn't previously assigned to another device). You can have bigger networks (where for an address aa.bb.cc.dd say aa and bb are fixed but cc and dd change) but this is unusual for a home network.

Basically any address assigned will need to be able to get onto the network that has your external router (the one that connects you to an ISP). If you're getting onto the net then I wouldn't worry about it. If you aren't you need to set-up your wireless router so that you can.

HTH

Edit: to correct the class C private address range

5. JohnnyBravo1000

Thanks, mate.

I'm getting onto the net without any problems at all and it all seems to be working exactly as it should be.

I only noticed this strange IP address because I have recently had 50MB Virgin Media Broadband installed (new router and modem etc) and I've assigned my PS3 a static IP address to avoid conflict and placed it into a DMZ.

However, this bizarre IP address for my Desire was showing up before any of the above changes.

6. JohnnyBravo1000

For people's information, my Desire's IP address starts with the number 10!

Very strange!

7. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

That's in the Class A Private Network Allocation. Basically there are 3 chunks of addresses allocated for people to distribute inside their firewalls. The firewall then uses NAT (Network Address Translation) to assign a real, unique IP address when your traffic goes out onto the Internet. It saves every device on the planet having its own unique IP address.

8. Hippotech

Hippotech Well-Known Member

I think the 87 and possibly the 10 range means it isn't using WiFi - this will be the address from your network provider.

Hippo

9. JohnnyBravo1000

Nice one, mate! It seems you have solved the mystery! :D

10. JohnnyBravo1000

Just a quick update:

I removed my Desire from my network map on my PC. I then reconnected it and it's now been given a normal IP address - eg. 192.168.0.XX