• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Strange issues with Galaxy S2

britfaag

Jan 21, 2014
Hi,

I have just found this forum, so hello first of all to you other S2'ers.

I have just replaced the screen on a Galaxy S2 for a friend. I do not know if these issues are pre-existing.

Firstly, the phone will not turn on without performing the following elaborate procedure:

Connect to USB Charger
Put phone into ODIN download mode
When asked to continue or cancel disconnect USB cable (MUST DO THIS)
Press cancel to restart phone
The phone will then boot up normally.

On top of these issues I am unable to access the recovery menu of this phone. Also, ODIN download mode can only be accessed when the phone is connected to power, if it isn't there is no response whatsoever. All of the buttons on the phone work normally, and the phone works normally when it is running.

One more issue is that the phone turns off at the mere tap of the power button. Ideally, I would like to know how I can flash/re-flash the standard recovery menu back to the phone.

The phone is running stock firmware. If installing any other firmware might help fix these issues I would happily consider it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

While you were replacing the screen, you broke something. There are so many possibilities (parts, wires, you shorted something that burned out, etc., etc.) that I wouldn't even try to guess what you did.

I suggest that you have Samsung look at the phone, but the chances are that the repair estimate will come so close to the cost of a new phone that it won't pay to fix it.

Replacing a screen looks simple. It's not - it takes an experienced technician MANY tries to learn to do it without causing more damage.

I'll put my standard disclaimer here. If the phone has to be opened, save money and pay someone to fix it. If you do it yourself you'll save a few dollars on the repair, then spend MANY times what you saved paying for repairing what you broke.

Upvote 0
While you were replacing the screen, you broke something. There are so many possibilities (parts, wires, you shorted something that burned out, etc., etc.) that I wouldn't even try to guess what you did.

I suggest that you have Samsung look at the phone, but the chances are that the repair estimate will come so close to the cost of a new phone that it won't pay to fix it.

Replacing a screen looks simple. It's not - it takes an experienced technician MANY tries to learn to do it without causing more damage.

I'll put my standard disclaimer here. If the phone has to be opened, save money and pay someone to fix it. If you do it yourself you'll save a few dollars on the repair, then spend MANY times what you saved paying for repairing what you broke.

Sorry, maybe I should have included some background info.

I repair phones and computers for a living. I know how to replace the screen without a problem, and to be honest there are not many wires etc that could be broken whilst doing this.

Does anyone have any more input? Other than send it to Samsung lol which is not really very helpful info tbh being as we are on an enthusiasts forum!

Just to add, changing a screen on a samsung is very very simple, unlike other phones which need heat to be applied. And to finish, the phone works normally when it is running.
This screen job was not a glass replacement involving heat etc it was simply a change of the front housing which involves removing a few screws and disconnecting a couple of clip on connectors.

Also I mentioned that I do not know if this is a pre existing problem as I repaired the phone for someone who got it with the broken screen. I read on the forum about someone having the same problem but the thread did not live on long enough to receive any replies.

So, to recap, the phone will only enter download mode after the procedure I have posted in the OP. I have been looking for apps that force recovery mode reboot and have tried some but they require root. I cannot root the phone without the recovery menu (can I?).

Upvote 0
After trying this kernel the Samsung logo appears, followed by the custom kernel logo then just goes blank. Still no access to recovery menu. Phone still switches off with a very quick press of the power button.

I was reading in another thread about something called NANDrw corruption, I am reading into that too.

Upvote 0
I am now trying the Siyah 4.01 Kernel. I'll post a follow up, but I would really appreciate it if anyone has any knowledge to share on this as all the searching I have done leads down dead ends and dead threads.

Siyah v4.0.1. :thinking: That is a very out of date Siyah kernel, released 7th August 2012, for Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs.

If you are still on ICS, Android 4.0.*, I would suggest Siyah v5.0.1 or if you are on Jelly Bean, Android 4.1.2, I would use Siyah v6.0beta5.

Upvote 0
OK Thank you for the constructive reply.

I am only using different kernels to try and get the recovery menu.

Here is where I am at now. I have managed to get to the recovery menu using SRSroot, but alas I still have a problem. This would be funny if it were not true, but alas, it's true.

Remember I said that the phone goes off at the slightest touch of the power button? I CANNOT select any of the options from the recovery menu because if I press the power button, the phone switches off :(

Anyone have any more ideas? I've been working on this for nearly two days now and I am at my wits end. I thought just then when I saw the recovery menu my problems were over but it seems that's not the case.

Is there any other way of selecting an option with a different button? Doubt it, but hey, longshot. If I can select Apply Update From ADB that will be the phone rooted. However I am not trying to root the phone, I am trying to solve the problem that is stopping me from accessing the recovery mode the normal way, and stopping a press of the power button turning the device off.

Upvote 0
OK, now then. After using SRSroot it said about selecting the update from ADB option and every time I restart the phone it restarts in recovery mode. I changed kernel with the CWM recovery and using that I am able to select options using the home button. But now the phone is just stuck on Samsung Galaxy SII logo with yellow exclamation mark.

I am going to reflash custom firmware, and then SRSroot again to get the recovery menu on reboot, then flash custom kernel again so I can use the home button to select options like in CWM recovery.

Still don't know what I am going to do after this as the problem with the power button remains...

Upvote 0
OK, thank you for your reply.

I get you fully. Now then, the problem I am really trying to solve is why I cannot enter recovery using the hardware buttons, and why it is that the phone goes off at the slightest touch of the power button.

Other than those issues everything is great as I am able to even install a custom ROM and root the phone but what good is that to my customer when he cannot turn it on with the power button without first going into download mode then disconnecting the usb and selecting vol down to cancel and restart the phone! And even then if the phone was in one's pocket and the power button gets touched, off goes the phone and you can't turn it on again withou a power supply!

Weird problem this I know...

Upvote 0
Just to update, I have now gone to the trouble of installing a recovery package I9100XXLPH which is how the original Galaxy 2 came when it was released. This was because I ended up with a looping Samsung logo.

I flashed this by individually selecting the Bootloader, Phone, CSC and PDA options separately. All went well with the flash and the phone now boots up fully.

However, frustratingly the problem with the power button remains. This means that I am still unable to boot into recovery menu or even have the phone be used normally as the phone still goes off at the very touch of the power button.

I know this is a VERY obscure problem, but more input would be appreciated, especially from any of the more knowledgeable gurus that are out there. Or actually anyone that even has half an idea of what the fix might be. I am most frustrated with it having spent all the time this thread has been open so far trying to fix the problem.

Again, I would like to reiterate that the phone works and behaves completely normal apart from this issue with the power button.

Upvote 0
Since this is happening with numerous ROMs, stock firmwares and kernels, the problem would appear to be hardware related.

T mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 How To Fix Power Button EASY

Thanks for the suggestion, but the power button works, it just works TOO well.

If you've followed the thread so far you will remember that I said that if you just click the power button, the phone goes off, so the power button is definitely working.

EDIT TO ADD: I am just going out but when I get back I am going to make a Youtube video for you to see what I mean by all this. I thought the writing would suffice but a video surely won't hurt.

Like I said, the power button is definitely not faulty. When it is plugged into a charger with an LED on it, the LED dims when you hold down the power button.

You also need the power button to reboot into download mode, which I have been using.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion, but the power button works, it just works TOO well.

If you've followed the thread so far you will remember that I said that if you just click the power button, the phone goes off, so the power button is definitely working.

I followed your posts exactly and that is why I am suggesting that it is a faulty Power button as opposed to a number of faulty firmwares.

When the Power button is functioning correctly, it should almost feel, "spring loaded", in that the button is pushed out and cannot make contact unless continuous pressure is applied. A short press should wake the screen up. A longer press should bring up the Power Menu and an even longer press should turn the power off. It seems that your Power button is making these contacts with little or no pressure being applied which therefore leads me to believe that the issue is a hardware one and not software related. Perhaps replacing the Power button unit may help.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your replies bro, and I wasn't being obtuse I hope :)

I am just making a video for you now to demonstrate this. But the power button physically is fine and how you describe it should be when its in good working order.

The video will explain more. When I said touching the power button, I mean one quick press, nothing to do with bad contact. I mean as opposed how it should work, ie: a long press to bring up the power menu. Simply pressing the power button for a very short moment will shut the phone down.

Upvote 0
OK, here is the video:

Jan 22, 2014 - YouTube

EDIT: At the end of the video I am trying to access recovery menu.

The video clearly shows that the power button is PHYSICALLY OK and working. See where I press it once? That is the problem that I am having here now. Obviously the phone is useless like that because the power button is bound to be pressed if you have it in your pocket and walk around. It doesn't bring up the reboot menu as it should when the phone is running.

Upvote 0
So to continue...

I am of the opinion that this is an issue somewhere in firmware, and I would like to know if anyone knows where this might be located?

I'm thinking along the lines of trying to get a memory dump from another phone and looking in a HEX editor (opinions?). I have another i9100 logic board that I can test in this white screen unit to see what happens. But I cannot see where it could possibly be the LCD side of the phone causing this. However, I do know for a fact that the black one does not have this problem as I have seen it working before the screen broke, whereas with this one I have no prior knowledge of the phone before swapping out the logic board.

Upvote 0
Here is what I am thinking. What area of the flash memory holds the data that pertains to how the hardware buttons operate? And could I use a HEX editor or whatnot to reprogram/reflash this area? I do not expect floods of answers on this one lol.

After flashing my firmware I had a problem with the function of my SII's power button (no 'Lock Screen' or 'Power Menu'); the solution turned out to be a missing file in my '/IMEI' folder which had a bearing on the functionality of the power button. Details HERE / solution HERE. Perhaps this could point you in the right direction.

Though I should point out that I came very late to the Smartphone party (24 days!); so what do I know?!?

My 'newbie' status notwithstanding, I have to say that ironass's observations make a lot of sense to me ...

When the Power button is functioning correctly, it should almost feel, "spring loaded", in that the button is pushed out and cannot make contact unless continuous pressure is applied. A short press should wake the screen up. A longer press should bring up the Power Menu and an even longer press should turn the power off. It seems that your Power button is making these contacts with little or no pressure being applied which therefore leads me to believe that the issue is a hardware one and not software related. Perhaps replacing the Power button unit may help.

... I've experienced similar problems with the 'Power' & 'Reset' buttons on PC's.

How easy would it be to 'breadboard' the phone and test it out with whatever switch or 'manual jumper arrangement' you have to hand so you can see if that's the problem before commiting to a replacement power button?

Forgot to post before going out and I just returned and hit the button; whoops! You've since added more info that makes the second part of my post kinda redundant; as you're sure it's not the actual button!

Upvote 0
Well we can conclude the thread now I think.

No matter how many flashes I performed with an entire catalogue of kernel/ROM combinations, from stock to custom, the power button just continues to exhibit the same unwanted behaviours.

After exhausting all avenues of enquiry along the software route, I have decided to take the logic board out and swap it for one from another s2 that has a broken screen. I started to think that maybe the USB charging circuitry that is part of the front housing may have been something to do with the issue but no, the other logic board performs perfectly in this housing.

I now have one black front housing complete with ancillaries going spare if anyone needs...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones