• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Strange Pop-Up. Virus?

Erik1

Lurker
Oct 29, 2013
A few days ago I was on the internet on my Samsung Galaxy S2, when I all of a sudden got a bunch of Pop-Up messages from "Lovelinks.us" and "wishink.co" telling me: "WARNING!!! You must upgrade App-Store immediately!" or something like that. There was only an "OK" option. I pressed it. I know I probably shouldn't have done that. Anyway it came up like ten times before it stopped. I wasn't on any shady sites. Only Skyrim forums, YouTube, Skyrim Wiki. Thats it. I didn't press any link either before the popups. It happened in the web browser. I was afraid it was a virus, so I did a factory reset on my phone. But AVG didn't pick anything up. So I was wondering if anyone knows what this is and how to, if possible avoid it/protect myself from it if it is a virus? Don't want to have to do a factory reset next time. Oh and I had not downloaded any app for the last 9 months or so, and the few apps I had came from Play Store.

There are no android viruses, so you can't pick up malware just by going to a site, you need to install it..

Most likely some dodgy/misbehaving ad script on the websites. But you might want to run a scan with Addons Defector and check that none of your apps use Push Notifications - that junk is supposed to be being banned from the Play Store, but may still be present in one of your apps.

Upvote 0
I had a weird event on my windows 7 PC today. Skype piped up and announced an incoming video 'message'. It was not from a contact but from something called MSGMB.COM. I did not open the mess but I have never had any sort event like this with Skype and have n idea how to get rid of it. It seems to be demanding I add the site to my contacts. Skype has also directed some adds to me as video popups on my Skype page, pop ups that open by themselves and include sound....VERY annoying.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones