• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Strange problem WhatsApp/SD card

I've been using WhatsApp to communicate with people overseas for over a year. I have been able to send photos and video with no problems. My phone is an LG Optimus Elite.

Just recently, though, I've been unable to send photos. When I try, I get an error message saying "Out of Memory." My phone has plenty of memory, so I did a search on the net and found that it has nothing really to do with memory. One recommended solution is to reset the SD card. I'm told to unmount the SD card, remove it, and reinsert it as a way of resetting it.

Well, first I checked the SD cards' space under Storage and it said "Unavailable." The Available space was also given as "Unavailable." Hmm.

Then I looked (also in Storage) for the "Unmount SD card" command I was supposed to tap to then safely remove the SD card. But instead, the command reads "Mount SD card." Huh? That makes it sound like I don't have an SD card mounted. (The "Mount SD card" command is greyed out, by the way.)

So then I open up the back of the camera to see if I do indeed have an SD card there. Here is what I found: IMG_3164.jpg

I guess it's an SD card, although it doesn't look like one.

Well, bottom line is that I can take photos and save them, I just can't send them via WhatsApp. And when I have tried to fix this problem, I've run into this SD card mystery. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

I have a similar problem, "not enough memory, try later" when trying to send an image file of ~ 1 mb after whatsapp updated itself to 2.11.301 today (old version expired).
There is a plenty of memory available and with "small" files (eg. ~100 kb) it works correctly, and equally with big video files (eg. a 9 mb mp4 is first reduced to ~3 mb then sent successfully).
It seems as the resolution reduction the app does on jpg files does not work properly (??)j

Upvote 0
I would think that without an SD card, I would not be able to store photos and what not.

It would be very restrictive if all users were required to buy/use an external card, so internal stroage is used by default.

What have I been missing all these years that an SD card would have let me do?

More storage capacity for photos etc. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones