Strange problem!Support

Last Updated:

1. ElJudge

ElJudge Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my Desire for a couple of months now, love it, and very little I can complain about (except the occassional SD card problem!)

However, I went to text today, and in the "To" field, I started typing, attempting the special "just press the number, and we'll guess the corresponding letter" approach, which I've used throughout my time with the phone. However, it didn't work: instead, it's just offering me T9 or normal ABC - it's not doing the clever guessing thing. For example, if I wanted to text my mum, stored as "mum" in my phone book, I'd usually type "686", however, now, that's simply coming up with "mtm". I don't think I switched any option, but if I inadvertently did, I can't find where to undo it. Can anyone point me to the right place?! Would be greatly appreciated!

Ian

Advertisement
  2. ElJudge

Should add, using keypad input, probably obvious from my example, but just wanted to confirm!

3. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

Try downloading Handcent. I find it's a better SMS program than the one provided by HTC :)

ElJudge likes this.
  4. ElJudge

Thanks for the reply. I actually quite like the stock one - although Handcent is good too. However, this is such a strange change! I just want it back to how it was...having to manually type each contact name in full in order to find them in my address book is going to be very laborious! I fear it may be the same for Handcent too - will give it a go now.

Just wonder how I switched it off...

5. ElJudge

Yeah, as feared, same problem. Though I think Handcent looks prettier than it used to, so may switch to it anyway! But still doesn't change that I can't access any of my contacts without scrolling down to them/typing their names exactly...any suggestions!? Many thanks

6. ElJudge

Sorry for posting to myself!

Okay, it gets stranger,

I tried finding a contact through the usual "Phone" button, and there still, Smart Dial wasn't working. Where it says "tap to see Smart Dial Tips" I tapped, and got the tip screen. Then, strangely, Smart Dial worked within the 'phone' screen. However, it is still not working within the 'To' field of SMSs. Very very strange! Any ideas?

7. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this will work, but try turning it off and taking the battery out. Put it back in and see if it works then...

It seems to solve quite a few of the problems I've had with this phone...

ElJudge likes this.
  8. ElJudge

Alas, didn't work. Although I did clear out some dust!

Can't seem to find anything on enabling/disabling Smart Dialler, though that's exactly what seems to have happened....

9. ElJudge

I am now even starting to doubt that Smart Dial even works in the "To" box of a text message. Can anyone confirm?

10. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

It only works on the "Phone" Button for me. In both the To & Search (Messages) i have the QWERTY keyboard, so no need for smart dial.